chapter 3

you sniff around with your nose in the air. you were going to find this boy and show him you're not some stupid little hairball off the street! once you caught the whiff of a young human with the hint of soap, you gasped and followed the scent in determined cheerfulness. it lead to a particularly large door. piece of cake! you told yourself as you hunkered down, aiming for the doorknob. with all your might, you leapt up and latched onto the handle, causing it to jingle noisily. "hello?" you hear that young voice call.

you shake the knob and sway from side to side. "who's there!? sebastian!!" shouted that voice, sounding panicked. finally the door gave way and slowly creaked open. you were then met with the gaze of that mean young boy. his face was initially alarmed, but then melted into a somewhat spiteful glare. "oh.. it's you." he sneered. you got off the door and pushed it shut with your head. just me and him now. kitten to boy. you look back at him, and he had his head in his hand. "hm. you can operate doors. How lovely. now please leave." he growled. you puff your cheeks out and strut as aggressively as possible to his desk. he gasped lightly as you jumped onto his desk and sat down.

Ciel stared at you for a long moment before he scowled. "did you hear me?? Get!" he swatted at you, but you easily duck your head. he blinked, surprised by your quick thinking. "wha?" he uttered. you stared at him with narrowed eyes. "G-get out!" he then tried to push you off, but you evaded his hand and pressed it into the desk with both paws. No! I wanna stay! "Neeo!" you said sharply. he grit his teeth, but his face softened at your large pleading eyes. his eye darted back and forth before he yanked his hand out from under your paws. "fine, you can stay a bit! just don't bother me or touch anything." he sneered. you nodded, surprising him. he hums in a satisfied tone before getting back to what he was doing. you give yourself credit. this was a good start. as you try to think of a way to break the ice with your new master, you spot a book beside you. you tip your head to the side and trot over to it and look down at it. you've heard of one of these. you've always wondered what they held inside...

using your nose, you flipped the cover open. immediately, words flooded the page. you squinted and began to scan the words. it was a very interesting book... lot of details.. and a.. very dark theme... this must be what they call a gothlic. however dark it may be however, it was still a very intriguing. it felt as if you were in the book itself. details describing everything! the person, the place, the atmosphere.. so this is what humans can write.. not bad! wish I can write like this.. you were so focused on a paragraph, you didn't realize ciel staring at you in amazement.

"you.. can read?" his voice brought you back to earth and you looked at him and nodded. "You can understand me as well.." he added, clearly impressed. you nodded once more, using your nose to flip to the next page. you feel his eyes still on you, making you shudder. "perhaps you could be of use after all.." he muttered, watching your eyes scan the page. you repress a purr of joy and satisfaction. that was kind of a complement! you're off to a good start. after about 35 minutes, however he snaps his fingers, startling you Into attention. "I wish to be alone for the moment right now. please leave. Now." he ordered. you nudge the book close with your nose and bow your head to him. yes master. "Mreow." you get up and leap off the desk, walking towards the door. as you did, you smile in pride as you here him mutter. "very useful indeed.."
~~~~~
later that evening, you watch outside the ever darkening sky, you feel a light petting on your head. you turn to see sebastian, with a warm smile on his face. "the master would like to see you." he informed. your ears perked in interest and joy. did he say why? "mmreow?" you asked tipping your head to the side. he shook his head. "no. but he didn't seem angry. on the contrary, he seemed rather satisfied." he picks you up and strokes your back a few times before heading to ciel's bedroom.

upon entering, you are greeted with ciel in his white nightshirt. once he sees you, his eyes glimmered with an emotion you couldn't place. he walked you over to a corner of his room where bundles of cushions and pillows sat. "forgive me, but this will be your bed for now." muttered sebastian, placing you down on it. even if it looked cheap and sloppy, it was heavenly. it easily beats sleeping on trash bags or old towels in cold alleyways. sebastian then bids you and Ciel goodnight and takes his leave. Ciel turns over and gives you a stern look. "now." he said, earning your full attention. "since you are part of this Manor now, you are expected to follow orders when given no matter the challenge of it. understood?" he ordered very clearly. for a boy, he's precise... you simply nod and bow your head. yes sir. "nyoaw." you replied softly.

he nods and nestled into bed. you can barely hear him grumbling to himself about talking to a cat. you pay no mind and happily curl up for the night. "and by the way.." he muttered, without turning to face you. yes? "Mya?" you asked, opening one eye. "you shall be known as (name) from now on.." with that, he's out like a light. you blink and internally celebrate.

I'm officially a Phantomhive cat now!