chapter 25

later that evening, madam red had invited master Ciel to play a game of chess to help take his mind off of his failed attempt in capturing the ripper. you sat at ciel's feet, giving yourself a good grooming as Ciel and madam red chatted during their little game. "is this really the time for a game of chess?" Ciel asked grumpily. madam red gave him a soft smile. "obsessing over it won't help solve the case." she said, moving a piece on the board. "why don't you leave it to sebastian? and have that feline of yours help out to." Ciel shook his head. "because they are my chess pieces." he simply said. you look up at him quizzically. Wwwhat? "I'm the one that move them. while sebastian is a mere knight.." a smirk curved his lips as he ran his hand over your soft head. "(name) is the powerful queen." Ciel sits back in his chair.

"both are no ordinary pieces nonetheless." he said smuggly, motioning to you with a hand gesture, you then leapt onto the table obediently. "they move as many squares as they need to." the then points to the chess board while looking at you. you stroll over to one side of the chess board, and used your paw to knock one of madam red's pieces off the board. "like that." he smirked.

madam red gasps in an offended manner as you strut over to ciel. he runs his hand over your head and back as you jump down and sit back at at his feet. "that was against the rules!" she pouted, putting the piece back where it was. Ciel smirked, running a hand over your head. "yes. if this was a game. but rules like that have no meaning in the real world. there are always Knights who break the rules and pawns who betray." you look up at him, staring at his face. "if you let your guard down... it's checkmate."

of all the quotes you said, sir, that's the most darkest one you've said so far. "mmmrrrow." you said bluntly. Ciel made a 'tch' sound and rolled his eye with a ghost of a smirk. "you have no idea, my dear (name)." he said dryly. you roll your eyes and lick your paw. mmmhm. "mmm." you hummed teasingly as you dragged it over your head. madam red raised her eyebrow. "you and that cat sure have grown close.." she muttered staring at you deeply. you return her gaze, blinking slowly. she stared at you as if she were searching for something. she then turns her attention back to ciel, shaking her head. "surely, you had other options aside from policing England's underworld?" she asked him. "I'm sure that my sister... your mother would want something else for you." you gaze up at ciel. yeah, why this option? "is it because you want to avenge their deaths?"

he doesn't look up. his voice sounded somber and icy at the same time. "the need for revenge is a funny thing. it won't bring the dead back. nor happiness." he glared. "I didn't return for them.. I returned for myself." you stare at him, pupils constricted, mouth partially opened. "it want to find the people who caused this. and I want them to experience the same pain I did." he said. you narrowed your eyes. madam red frowned and got up from her seat. "I remember when you were born." she sadly muttered. "it was so long ago. you were so small and fragile. I remember thinking, that no matter what, I had to protect you." she said. just like me. you thought, shutting your eyes. she walked over to ciel and touched his cheek. "you know I could never have children. I had you. I've come to think of you as my own child. which is why I wish you would quit this." ciel suddenly pushed her hand away. "this is my choice. and it still is and no one else's. I have no regrets in making his decision. and I refuse to be coddled. by anyone." he gave her a glare. she furrowed her brow. "then why does is (name) here then?" she asked, gesturing to you. ciel shook his head. "she's different. she understands my decisions. by doing so, she'll be useful for future tasks." he looked down at you. "am I correct?" he said eyeing you sternly. you give a blink-nod combo, earning a grin from him. "good girl."

the time came for madam red to leave. as she did, she glanced back at sebastian. "promise me. you'll never leave his side. this is a dangerous world for a child. make sure he doesn't lose his way." she said, eyes flicking from you who was perched on his shoulder to sebastian. "fear not, we will stay by his side until the end." she suddenly turns around and reached out, petting your head with delicate fingers. "especially you. you're not an ordinary little cat. you're something special. do not let me down." she whispered, in a pleading/demanding voice. you blink in sympathy and nod. yes, milady. "mmreow." you responded. a grateful look flashes in her eyes. you let your head drop. I will... no matter the costs..
~~~~
you and sebastian walk back into ciel's room and sebastian places him on his bed. "well?" ciel asks, as he picked you up and placed you on his lap to pet your soft head. "no matter what, it all turns out the same." sebastian replies. you sigh, laying your head down. geez, this day is quite dark ain't it. you huff as ciel and Sebastian banter about things you really you don't wanna hear more on. you kneaded at the blankets and laid yourself down to rest as ciel's cold words repeated themselves in your head.

if you let your guard down...

It's checkmate...

you shudder at the last words. It's checkmate. you close your eyes and slowly slipped into the clutches of sleep.
----
ciel is in danger...

you must...

GET UP!

----
you jolt upwards as that last part blasted into your head. the room was dark. it was empty. Ciel was nowhere in sight. where'd he go..!? you suddenly see a note on the bed and leaned down to read the words written upon it.

"me and sebastian had gone off to confront jack the ripper himself. I wanted you to stay behind because things may become too much for you to handle. there is food and water in the room and the doors are open incase you need to use the bathroom. we might be back late. behave yourself, dear.

~signed Ciel phantomhive

you suddenly felt fear sweep over you. he ACTUALLY when to confront jack the ripper?! but.. if something were to happen to him... master! "meaw!" you cried as you leapt off the bed and booked it out the door of the bedroom and with effort opened the house's door and volted out of the estate, following his very faint scent.