➳ fifty-eight

To say that Joy is nervous is such an understatement. If possible, she would rather collapse than go down to the shop with Areum.

There's this mix of anxiety and excitement in her blood, rushing all over her body with such speed. Where are these feelings coming from? Is this how it feels to completely overcome your fear?

Two days ago, Joy almost made a decision not to continue what she initially planned and just vanish from the town along with Areum, find a new place and start a new life. But seeing Areum sitting next to her, telling her stories about the people she recently met made her rethink things. She might be Areum's mother but she's not in the place to take away the things that was supposed to be given to Areum.

Joy is worried. That's for sure but as a mother, that is natural. She came to accept that this will always be a part of her everyday emotion. The only difference is that she's worried for deeper reasons because of their situation. She's worried the most about Areum's thoughts once the night ends.

Will Areum still look at her the same way? Or, God forbids, will Areum hate her by the end of the night? No idea.

Strength is all she's got and the only thing she's holding on to. Thank God for giving her so much strength both physically and mentally. Joy's been using it well ever since day 1 in all life aspects.

Looking back, the Joy 6? 7? months ago will never agree to this but here they are, walking their way down to the shop, with Joy helping Areum in her princess attire.

Joy and Areum have come a long way.

As they are holding hands while walking down, Joy felt a squeeze from Areum, "Are you nervous, Eomma? Your hand is shaking," Areum stated, bringing her mother's hand to her lips and left a small kiss before talking again, "It's okay. You're okay," She comforts and Joy giggled.

Areum probably heard that a lot from Joy that she started saying it too. Joy visibly relaxed with the contact as they took their final step on the stairs. Well, that made her ease a little.

"How are you feeling, baby?" The mother asked and Areum made a high pitched sound meaning she's excited to answer her mother's question.

"Happy~~! I get to have two birthday parties in one day!" Then Areum stopped walking so Joy stopped too. Areum motioned Joy to crouch down so even if she's wearing a formal dress herself, she still do what the little girl asked for. Areum suddenly hugged her with so much force but good thing Joy's balance made so much improvement from the past years so they didn't tumble down. "Thank you, Eomma~ You always make me happy," The little girl's soft voice plus the sincerity in it made Joy tear up but she forced them back. Now's not the right time.

It's true, Areum had her first party at lunch with her classmates at school. Their homeroom teacher let Joy to celebrate Areum's birthday inside the classroom, with so many foods and games, a mini party.

Joy watched Areum socialize with her classmates, always bragging her beautiful Eomma to them and just casually joining the games. Areum is indeed a star, a sweetheart because everyone inside seems to love Areum, seems to be close to her and adores her so much.

Areum pretty much had a blast earlier and Joy is sure because Areum talked about it a lot when it's time to go home. Her favorite was when her and Yuna partnered for a game and won gifts.

Joy sighed in the hug, wrapping her own arms around Areum's little waist. They stayed like that for some moment, and Areum can feel the loud beats of her Eomma's heart. Although she don't understand where these anxious feelings are coming from, she knew that hugging her Eomma will make the older feel relaxed.