➳ fifty-seven

The doorbell rang and Areum ran towards the door without any hint of hesitation.

"Be careful," Joy reminds as she follow the little girl to where the door is. She saw Areum standing there, waiting for her with an excited smile on her lips.

She's wearing a very cute pink dress, her hair is done nicely and she's wearing her favorite doll shoes. Joy smirked, proud of her creation.

Areum pointed to the door, "Eomma~! Please open it quickly," The little girl demands, impatient yet the smile is never leaving her beautiful face.

"Tell me your promise first," Joy said and Areum groaned.

"I said it this many times already," Areum showed Joy her ten chubby fingers.

"Still," Joy insisted. She has to make sure that Areum really understand that she's serious about it so Joy kept on reminding Areum about it.

"I promise to behave well~," Areum half-screamed, not because she's angry at her mom but because she's too excited to meet the person on the other side of the door.

Little Areum is looking forward to how Sungjae will react once he saw Areum dressed nicely. She expects a lot from Sungjae today. Areum got used of being showered with compliments by the man and never once it fails to make her feel happy and confident.

The door opened revealing Sungjae in his black tuxedo and pants. It looks like he also styled his hair and did some make-up.

Instead of Sungjae admiring Areum, it was the other way around, "Policeman-ahjussi!!" Areum was too amazed that she have her small lips apart. "You look like an actor!" She said, scanning the older from head to toe.

Even Joy, not being able to hide the surprise for the sudden visual attack, gaped on him.

Sungjae on the other hand felt embarrassed with how the two most important people in his life is looking at him like he's some God-sent creation when he barely managed to iron his attire and almost messed up his hair. "Stop. It's not that big," He told Areum and turned to Joy, who by the way, looked like the embodiment of God of beauty, Aphrodite, "You too, stop that," He looked away because Joy is too intense right now.

Joy only raised an eyebrow at him, turned to Areum and nodded. Areum went inside and Sungjae looked confused. "Where is she going?"

It's not even ten seconds later and Areum came back with a small box wrapped nicely in gift wrapper, "Happy birthday!!" Areum greeted, too lively and enthusiastic, creating a nice feeling in his heart.

"You didn't have to," Sungjae replied but took the gift anyway, "Thank you. What is this?" He asked, occasionally glancing at Joy who looked expectant to his reaction towards the gift.

He didn't expect the gift or anything at all. For him, the presence of these two who means the whole world to him is the best present for his birthday.

Earlier he went to the coffee shop to ask Joy if they are free to eat dinner outside. When Joy asked why, he replied with a sheepish "It's my birthday,"

Joy was surprised and he saw how she's starting to feel bad and Sungjae is quick to stop her. "Don't even think of feeling bad because you forgot it. It's not your obligation to remember it. I swear, but I would love it if you and Areum will accompany me tonight,"

Before Joy could even answer, Sungjae talked again for a clearer intension, "You and Areum. Not just Areum. Is that okay?"

If Joy was a taken back, it's not shown. Thinking about it, it's already been 8 months anyway. She was able to give Sungjae her trust again, although bit by bit before, Sungjae fully gained it now and that is enough reason to say, "Yeah, sure,"