➳ forty-four

Joy turned to the other side of the bed with Areum in her arms. Areum fell asleep during their cuddle session and good thing they already ate dinner, it just happened that their cuddling got a little longer as reconciliation from their small fight earlier, leaving Areum into a very comfortable position and soon fell asleep.

Joy saw the protein bar laying on top of their small drawer, it was given by Areum as soon as the latter saw her. The little girl looked very apologetic and Joy couldn't stop herself from coming to the small girl.

According to Areum, it was supposed to be a yogurt but a certain handsome policeman-ahjussi said Joy doesn't like yogurt and gave Areum a protein bar instead.

Although Areum insisted that Joy knows the policeman, still Joy didn't eat it for safety purposes. It's not like Joy will trust someone just because they're handsome or a police, that'd be absurd and she can't think of any policeman acquaintance who knows her hatred for yogurt.

The two's day ended with Areum's arms around Joy's waist while Joy hugs her protectively and a huge blanket wrapped around the two of them.

Sungjae's day ended with a little smile of accomplishment.

The next day, Sungjae's official duty starts. He was with a senior police officer and his first task is to patrol around the area as there are some cases of robbery flying around. It worried him a lot thinking that Joy and Areum are both female and if ever (he's praying to God that it won't ever happen), it will be easy to hurt them.

So later that night, with the bicycle he borrowed yesterday, he made some extra rounds (probably more than what's needed but in Sungjae's defense, his daughter and Joy deserved more than what they think) around Joy's coffee shop/house.

Though on his final round, he didn't notice two figures walking across the street with two huge trash bags on each side of the taller's hand, behind was a smaller (too small) figure, clutching tightly on the taller's shirt. He almost knock them off if the small figure didn't scream like a siren.

Sungjae fell from his bicycle under desperate attempt not to hit the two. He can't afford to get people in danger on his first day. He instead, hit a wall and crashed down.

"Oh my gosh!" Screamed Joy and immediately put down the trash bag, puller Areum and went to the poor man laying face first on the ground. "Are you okay, Sir?" Joy asked, crouched down and tried to get the man to stand up.

"Oh my, policeman-ahjussi?" Areum covered her mouth upon realizing who the guy is.

Sungjae, knowing that it was his daughter and the beautiful mother, wanted the the ground to eat him alive.

This is so embarrassing...

When Joy successfully turned the guy over, made him sit on the ground and have fully access on his face, it was her turn to fall butt first on the ground, facing the older male, "Sungjae?! What are you wearing?!" She screamed.

Sungjae's whole face is red, not to mention the bleeding on his forehead courtesy of the small cut just above his right eyebrow. "Ah this? It's my uniform?" Even Sungjae was unsure of how to answer Joy.

Everything happened so fast and he's not even sure if he's really awake or he's dreaming. This is too blissful to happen in real life; Joy and Sungjae sitting on the ground face to face while Areum stood between them looking back and forth of the two.

"Uniform?" Joy asked confusedly. What she couldn't get is why after 2 months of not hearing from him, he suddenly showed up in front of them in a police uniform and got himself in an accident.

"Ah yeah, this is how I'm enlisting like Minhyuk-hyung. A conscripted policeman," Sungjae explained, suddenly realizing how odd they look, he stood up, although a little dizzy and offered his hand to help Joy.

She stared at his huge hands, unnecessary flashbacks playing inside her head and decided she doesn't need it, "It's okay," she said and stood up on her own.

Of course it hurt his feelings and felt a little embarrassed after being rejected in front of their daughter but small things like this won't discourage him. "Sorry for surprising you, I didn't expect our first meeting to be like this," he explained akwardly.

Joy didn't answer because she doesn't know how to react either. It was super awkward, "Anways," Sungjae talked again after sensing that Joy feels awkward too, "Are you gonna throw this? It's fine, I'll do it," Sungjae walked to where the trashbags are and picked them, "You two should go upstairs now. It's dangerous and make sure to lock the door,"

It can't be helped, his protective nature automatically run whenever the two are around. He crossed the street and throws the bags on the pile of other trash bags then turned around again to be surprised that the two are still standing there and his bike is already on a stand.

"Why are you still there? You should go inside now," He said, he doesn't want to be annoying but that's what he felt like saying at that moment.

"Wait, you say you're enlisting as a policeman and here's where you're gonna be doing it?" Joy inquires, she's not looking directly at his eyes but she's facing him.

Sungjae nodded.

"You did something didn't you?" Joy asked again, there's nothing like accusation in her voice, more like she's trying to prove a point. Sungjae noticed how Joy suddenly grabbed Areum's arms and held it in a very protective manner. Sungjae got the message quickly, Joy's still worried about his presence around Areum.

"Yeah. But you don't have to worry about me being here. I won't do anything that you wouldn't like, I promise that," he replied.

Promise; a big word right? People always say that words aren't enough because it must always come hand in hand with actions and that vocally promising something and then not doing it would double the disappointment.

But Sungjae did voiced out his promise because he wants Joy to know how serious he was and that he's gonna do what he promised.

"Eomma, policeman-ahjussi's forehead is bleeding," Areum suddenly spoke, interrupting the two's adult conversation.

Only then Sungjae realized how wet his forehead and how his vision is a bit blurry, a pain striking out. He touched where it's coming from and winced when he pressed the small cut too hard.

"Ah, it's nothing Areum-ah!" Sungjae beamed fakely and his attempt to smile probably looked weird in the baby's eyes.

"Eomma, how about we let him borrow our first-aid kit?" Areum suggested and Joy was stoned on her place.

Oh Areum, the ever so polite and cute little Areum who can't sense uncomfortable situations.

Sungjae looked at Joy's stressed expression and again, he picked up what Joy meant. "Oh! It's alright! I have my own first-aid kit!" He laughed, "You guys should go in now, I'll be leaving too."

"But..." Joy spoke slowly, "Aren't you supposed to patrol now? You're gonna patrol in that...face?" She asked, a little guilty that she kind of doesn't want to let the guy in their house.

"No, my duty ended two hours ago and I'm just doing some extra rounds toㅡ," he cut himself off upon realizing that he's gonna say something unneeded, "ㅡfamiliarize myself around the area," a good turn, atleast that doesn't sound too fake at all.

"Ah okay," Joy replied shortly.

Areum doesn't looked convinced and kept on eyeing the bleeding wound.

"...So I think you should go inside now," he replied.

"Okay," She answered.

He watched as the two walk away and before Joy closed their door, Areum waved at him and he waved back.

I'm so bad at writing fluff but expect more. I think we're near the end. This will probably have 50 chapters only too.