➳ forty-five

"Eomma! Policeman-ahjussi is so nice!" Were Areum's words once she's settled on her seat in Joy's car.

Joy was a bit surprised because it's only been what? Day 2? And yet Areum already talks about Sungjae a lot. Last night, Areum spilled that the one who gave her the protein bar is actually Sungjae.  She's not even surprised by that fact anymore after seeing him yesterday.

"Really? That's good," Honestly, Joy doesn't really want to hear things about Sungjae atleast for a moment. Last night's happenings are still clear in her mind and it's too much to take in. She can't bear more.

It's also triggering memories from before when they used to be lovers.

Joy watched Areum from the rear view mirror and she felt guilty that she doesn't want to talk about Sungjae when Areum looked so eager to tell her story. Joy sighed, "What did he do?" She gave up and started driving.

Areum giggled first, a genuine display of happiness and although there's a slight worry in her, she can't ignore the fact that Sungjae makes Areum happy.

Also, Sungjae promised last night about this matter while on Joy's side, she's trying to convince herself for a second chance too. Aside from that, Sungjae had all the chance to tell Areum that he's her father but he didn't do it.

"Teacher told us that we're going to play outside! She made us fall in line and hold each other's hand," Areum started, the playground is across the daycare center and that's where they're going, "And then, Policeman-ahjussi was waiting outside and helped us cross the streets! He made cars stop! He was so kind and he made us laugh!~" Areum laughed this time, probably remembering a funny scenario inside her head.

Joy smiled at how excited Areum looks, "Whoaa~ Did he told you anything?" Joy inquires, this time her heart is hammering inside her chest.

"Yes! He said I looked pretty today, just like my Eomma!" Areum beamed.

Joy looked away, maybe she blushed a little bit, "Well, were you nice at school today too?" Joy asked, changing the topic.

Joy admits that she's glad with how minimum the interactions were. She knew Sungjae was trying to get Areum to like him and at the same time, he's keeping a fair distance and trying not to step on a foreign line. Another point to him for that.

Later that day, when Joy's limbs are tired from work and from Areum's hyper acts, she was about to cover her window with curtains when her attention was caught  by a familiar bicycle which is parked near a tree just in front of her house and Sungjae was crouching down on a big stone as a chair with a canned coffee in his hands.

It's always like that every night that Joy began to develop a hobby of checking if he's there or not. And the days after are the same with Sungjae, it's like he's there but on a distance, he's there but he's not mingling with them. Joy thinks that what Sungjae is trying to say was that he's not gonna do anything interactively but his presence is there, he's there with them.

That satisfied Joy and so as Sungjae. He was able to check on them from some steps away. Unlike before, Joy's eyes are not horror and pain, they're not as expressive as before but he's sure that Joy isn't hating his presence around them, she's not totally ignoring him and sometimes acknowledge his presence with a simple nod.

It made Sungjae's heart happy.

When it comes to Areum though, it's on a different level.

During Sungjae's morning patrol, whenever he passes by Areum's school, the children are still waiting on the line outside their classrooms and Areum would always wave enthusiastically to him.