➳ forty-seven

It's been a whole 5 minutes since Joy started staring at Areum's little frame standing next to a gigantic teddy bear placed infront of latter's classroom. Areum's wearing the brightest smile ever and her eyes are enlarged with such excitement. Areum is clutching to the pink teaddy bear's hands which is a habit of Areum that signifies ownership. Joy doesn't remember buying it for her at all that's why she's very confused right now.

"What's that?" Joy asked, pointing towards the huge teddy bear of Areum's size.

"It's a teddy bear," Areum answered and if only Joy is not sure that Areum is not aware of sarcasm, she's going to think Areum is being sarcastic right now.

"I mean, I know," Joy paused, "Why are you holding it? Who's is that?" She questions more precisely.

"Oh! This is mine! Isn't she pretty?" Areum coos, pinching the teddy bear's cheeks, "Her name's Joy," she giggled.

Joy almost chokes. She's also having goosebumps because where the hell did Areum get that? Aside from the fact that it's not a korean name, Joy never told Areum about her idol life.

She tried shaking off bad thoughts and asked again, "Where did you get it? Didn't I told you not to accept anything from strangers?" She's not trying to scold Areum, it's just that Joy doesn't get a good feeling out of this.

"It's from policeman-ahjussi, Eomma! Don't worry, I trust him," Areum answered rather cheerfully. Areum didn't notice the sudden change in her Eomma's expression.

I trust him, such big words coming from a merely 5-year old who barely understand the concept of trust. It's strange, Joy thought. How Areum trusted Sungjae so easily like she's known him for a long time. Joy's not blind, she's seen how they bond.

Well it's because of Joy too sometimes, she unintentionally make them spend time together. Joy gets lost in watching them talk until she ended up picking Areum 30 minutes late.

She's got no excuse. It's just good to see them interact. It's good to see Sungjae try. It's nice to see the different smiles Areum make because of someone that is not Joy. And somehow, Joy can see the old Sungjae whenever he's with Areum and it's nice.

It felt good. The chance is peeking through the window by the wall of her doubt. 

Maybe that's why Areum came up to trusting Sungjae albeit knowing nothing about the older. Because she can sense the eagerness and genuineness in him.

"What for?" Joy inquires, " Did you ask him to buy that for you?" Not that Joy is against Sungjae buying things for Areum. Actually she's actually a little surprised because she expected Sungjae to force gifts to Areum, to spoil her with such extravagance. But no, he didn't and Joy is thankful for the good pace. It's exactly how she wanted everything to be.

"No!!" Areum quickly defended herself, "It's because I did him a favor!" Areum even giggled, "I promised him that I will not tell you that he called you pretty so he bought me this," Areum explained, "It's a secret between policeman-ahjussi and I," She whispered and it seems like the younger isn't aware that she just spilled the tea.

If Joy felt her whole face and and ears burn from embarrassment, she chose to ignore it. Now's not the right time and she's too old to fuss over small compliments.

"What's the secret?" Joy tried asking again just to prove that Areum really didn't notice how she already spilled it all out.

"I'm sorry Eomma, I can't tell you," Areum's frown were replaced by shinning eyesmile, "But don't worry! It's not a bad secret! If only I'm allowed to tell you, I'm sure you'll be happy once you hear it!" Areum exploded in a fit of giggles like she's remembering what the secret is.