➳ fifteen

By the time Sungjae is out of sight, Dasom quickly turned towards Joy who's face is pale, looking like she will pass out in any minute

Dasom ran towards the older girl, "Unnie! Are you okay?!" She frantically asked, at the same time guilt and nervousness is creeping inside her.

Joy briskly removed her apron and took Areum from Dasom's hold, "Let's talk later," Joy's voice is shaky. She couldn't think properly and different emotions are building up inside her. All she need is some alone time with her daughter.

She made her way inside the shop's small office and sat on her chair.

"Eomma?" Areum called out, her voice calming her mother who probably made the biggest turn of her life; to fight back.

She did something unimaginable. If only her past self saw what she did, she will probably be choking on her own saliva.

Joy can remember how her mindset works before. If that encounter with Sungjae happened earlier, she's doubtless on search for another cave where Sungjae will never see them.

But she did it. After all these years she finally stood up for herself and it felt fantastic.

"Yes?" She answered in a serene voice, trying not to sound anything that might upset Areum.

The little girl is silently sitting on her lap, straddled towards Joy, and her head in resting on her Mom's chest, "Are you okay?"

Areum is a smart kid and she knows her Mom very well. Even the slightest movement on her Mom's face, Areum knows what it means, "Did Ajusshi hurt your feelings?"

Joy hugged Areum tighter, she felt touched of her little girl's thoughtfulness, "Why would you think of that, princess?" Her voice is now lighter, she's calmer.

As usual, Areum never fails on making Joy feel better.

"I saw him throwing the cake you made, Eomma," Areum said and Joy swear she can even hear her pouting. "that's bad."

"It's okay. He doesn't deserve to eat that anyway," Joy replied, resting her back on the swivel chair where the both of them are sitting. She started brushing Areum's hair, her baby's warm body is making her placid.

"I thought Ajusshi is nice," said Areum making Joy's eyebrows furrow. She can sense the disappointment in Areum's voice.

"What do you mean?" Joy questioned, making Areum sit properly so she can see her face. Areum looks so upset and sad. "What happened, princess?"

"Ajusshi is so kind yesterday, I even gave him a kiss on the nose, Eomma," Areum placed her face in between the palm of her hands, gesturing how disappointed she is, with her face sulking she continued, "I only do that to you."

Joy gasped, her lips parting while trying to swallow the information Areum just blurted out, "Wait, what? You met him yesterday?!" Joy tried her best not to scream in front of her daughter resulting into a low tone shriek.