➳ twenty two

Terrified is an understatement of what Joy is feeling at that very moment.

The peace she achieved after hundreds of difficulty, not just for herself but also for Areum, is running away from her like she doesn't deserve to have it.

Joy wanted to show Areum the bright side of life, which Joy herself hadn't experience so much when she still doesn't have Areum. She had always been desiring to remain as someone who's good in her daughter's eyes.

But what is this?

Why do life keep on showing Areum the people which Joy doesn't have a good relationship with? It's like life itself doesn't want Joy to be happy.

And if only Areum wasn't there, Joy won't even care to fight anymore.

But Areum is there, shouting for love, her presence is screaming for protection and Joy's mantra had always been; protect Areum at all cost.

And even though there's a voluminous fright inside her, Joy knows that there is nothing who can fight a mother.

Love is a Mother.

but War, can also be a Mother.

Finally, Joy turns around and to her surprise, her Father is now looking at her.

She can't even read the expression he have. Maybe it's the time? It's been so long since she saw him and so it could've changed.

Or maybe it's their relationship? The father-and-daughter relationship that dissolved like a dark poison mixed in their crystal clear of a relationship, dominating the good with the bad, ending it easily like it never really matter. It could also be that.

Joy suddenly wondered if Areum have a father, would things go to Areum the same way it gone to her? Hopefully not.

"Is she your daughter?" Joy's father asked, the way he said the word daughter had an emphasis Joy couldn't point a finger of what it means.

Her father didn't even wait for Joy to answer and darted his eyes back to Areum, a small smile leaving his aged lips.

Areum is just like Joy when Joy was still young. She's always curious and always beautiful.

"Don't," said Joy. "Don't smile at her, don't deceive her, don't look at her," Joy's body is trembling due to too much fury in her system, flowing like it replaced her blood.

Shocked, her father looked back at her. Joy's face is red and her lips are quivering with vengefulness on her expression.

Shame crept to his Father's as flashbacks of their dark past came back to his memory. He can't even look at her without this particular feel of disgust, not for Joy but for himself.