➳ seventeen

"Sohyun-ah, what's this?!" Sohyun's dad turned towards her daughter after sparing a glance towards Sungjae who's standing on the doorway to the dining area

"Sohyun-ah, what's this?!" Sohyun's dad turned towards her daughter after sparing a glance towards Sungjae who's standing on the doorway to the dining area. His dad didn't even bother to hide the irk in his voice.

Sohyun who looked as disappointed as his father, turned her head to the older after seeing Sungjae, "I'm sorry, Appa. I don't know what's wrong with him. Iㅡ ugh, let me just talk to him for a second," Sohyun hold her long dress up so she won't tip on it and started running to Sungjae.

Sungjae can feel the judging glance from Sohyun's relatives, and also those of admiration coming from her cousins of a same age. Sungjae doesn't know what to do.

The five-tier cake placed on the middle of the long dining table made of woods, with the huge candle letters forming Sohyun's mother's name along with varities of food and drinks.

How could I forget? Damn.

He saw how Sohyun's dad shook his head with displeasure on his face while tapping the shoulders of Sohyun's mother who also looks unimpressed of his appearance as if he ruined what is supposed to be an outlandish birthday party of hers.

He can't understand Sohyun's parents. How can they be treating him bluntly? It's looks like he isn't going to be part of their family. Sungjae feels like they are judging him.

He was freed from the depths of his contemplation when Sohyun's arm pulled him away from the havoc that is the dining room.

She continued on pulling him until they stopped in the garden, away from the house.

"Babe, I'm really sorry for being laㅡ"

"What the hell, Oppa?! What is wrong with you?!" Sohyun shouted, irritation clear in her expression.

"I am sorry, okay? I forgot about itㅡ" He tried reaching for her hand but she pushed his arms away.

"You forgot?!" Disbelief is taking over her expression. She crossed her arms as she is so ballistic. "Oppa, you are an hour late! You know my parents hates it when food waits! Are you even thinking? Gosh!" She huffed.

Sungjae sighed, trying to calm himself since Sohyun is the uncontrollable type whenever she's angry, like she can't control her mouth, "I said I'm sorry, okay?" He tried to touch her again but she backs away, sending him glares.

"And didn't I told you to wear something formal? Why are wearing that..." Sohyun's eyebrow raise while looking at Sungjae.

"Look, I'm really sorry about this. I have so many things going on with me, babe." He sighed deeply, trying to get her to his side.

"And so you decided to forget about this one?" Sohyun's voice is rigorous, hinted with jade.

"Where did that came from?" he asked in disbelief.

Now Sohyun is being totally uncanny.

Sohyun looked at him, watching his every expression. "It's my mom's birthday Oppa," Sohyun's voice is lowering and he can already feel that he's making her sad. "Alright, what is your present for her? Maybe that will help," Sohyun's eyes lit up, expecting something from him.

"I don't have any..." he answered and the disappointment is back on her face again.

"What?" She spat, a comical utterance in her, "What have you been doing with your life?" Her eyebrows are quivering because too much choler.

"I was busy, my schedule is packed, I am so tired Sohyun. You're not even asking how I am?" He can't help but feel a pang of pain in his heart. Sohyun has always been kind and gentle but shes drastically changing as time goes by.

"I know you're busy and such but you're not the type to forget about things, specially when it comes to pleasing my parents," She's still insisting her point.

"Babe, not everything is about your parents," He closed his eyes as frustration intrude his emotions, "This is our relationship! They're out of this!" He couldn't stop himself from saying those anymore.

Sohyun was surprised of his sudden burst out, looking at him with incredulity, "Now you're the one getting angry, huh?" Her eyes says she couldn't believe him.

Sungjae couldn't take her sudden unkindly attitude anymore, "You know what? I'll just leave," he finally announced as he turned his heels on her.

"What?! No!" Sohyun grabbed him tightly on his arms, yanking him towards her direction, her nails digging to his skin, scratching it, "Don't turn your back on me! I'm still talking to you!" She hissed making Sungjae lose the last drop of prudence in him.

"Why?! Are you going to make me feel out of place too?" He stiffled a brittle laugh, "I'm not blind, Sohyun-ah. I know your parents doesn't like me." He showed her a bitter smile, "Didn't they also stopped you from letting me court you during the filming of our first drama? Then suddenly they want you to marry me. Why? Is it because I'm famous now? Is it because this Sungjae is worthy to be shown off already? Not like the rookie Sungjae who got nothing in him but ambitions and failures? Is that it?"

Sohyun slapped Sungjae, his accusations is hurting her feelings, "How dare you!"

Sungjae bit his lower lip, feeling the stinging on his cheek. He turn back to her, and Sohyun's eyes are forming tears while the girl have a shock expression on her face, "Iㅡ I'm sorry, I didn't mean t-to slap you," Sohyun stutters.

"What? It's true though," Sungjae continues, "Everytime I come here, I always feel unwelcomed,"

"The first time they met me, I can always feel your father's scrutinizing gaze on me, you're mother saying how unsatisfying I am, your brothers don't like me for you, I know it all Sohyun-ah," He gulped down the lump on his throat, preventing his eyes to go mist, "Isn't that why you are trying to change me?"

"What? No, I'm not trying to change you, Oppa, I just want my parents to like you," Sohyun is now crying, her guilt is taking q over because of Sungjae's confession.

"No, you're trying to change me," He said in as-a-matter-of-fact way, "I was happy because I thought you like me for who I am. I thought you finally learned how to make your own decisions and stand up for it, that you're becoming someone who's not an underdog of her family. But then suddenly, you want me to do this, do that, do what I am not! Sohyun, you're starting to be manipulative." He burst out, breathing heavily.

"I'm sorry Sohyun. But, let's just talk when we're both calmed down. I don't want to be harsh on you," He turned around and left the place, leaving Sohyun crying on her own in the middle of the huge garden.

oof.

•didn't proofread 💔