71. Peace Offering.

ACE.

I had seen death before; people crumpled to the floor, bleeding and whimpering or screaming their lungs out.
But nothing could prepare me for the raw finality of seeing Andy's chest dip with his last breath. It lingered in my mind as we stood outside the medical centre, waiting for everyone else to be politely escorted out.Dallas was the last to join us. He was led out by two of the other gang guys, leaning on them heavily and groaning in pain and anguish.

Josh sighed, rubbing his eyes. "Are you coming back to mine?" he asked Tyler quietly. Tyler didn't agree, but he didn't disagree, either. He looked at Rowan and I. "You come, too. I don't know if anyone should be alone right now."

"I'll come," Rowan shrugged, trying to act nonchalant. I could see that his fingers were still shaking. "Ace?"

I shook my head 'no.' "I just need a minute," I said, and at Josh's worried expression, I added, "I'll come after."

Rowan gave me an unsure look, but I held his gaze, steadier than he was. "Alright," he said, "Don't do anything stupid while we're gone."

"I won't," I compromised, and they turned to leave.

I listened to them for a moment before I walked off. "There's something different about you," Josh was saying.

"Take a wild guess," Rowan replied.

"Dude, your eyes," Josh gasped, "They're blue instead of brown."

"Actually," Rowan corrected him, "They're sea-green."

I smiled at the ground and walked off. For a fleeting moment, I could breathe. My heart was light and my head was clear. Then with each step, my thoughts grew darker and the weight on my shoulders got heavier.

"Ace, what's wrong with you?" asked a nasal voice. I barely took any notice, just continued walking.

The morning sunlight was bright and warm, but the air was sticky and humid. There were more clouds in the sky than expected. The rain was desperate to come but still hadn't. I could almost sense the storm on the horizon, just waiting to burst down any day now.

"Ace, what's going on, you're freaking me out!"

I stopped my pensive walking and looked at Frankie, only now processing that she was there. I looked at her shiny gold hair and her perfect makeup.

"Frankie, Andy just... why weren't you there?" I asked.

"In the hospital? Why would I want to spend time there?" she asked.

I looked at her in bewilderment. "He's your friend, Frankie... I... He's dead. Andy is dead."

Frankie's eyes grew wide in terror. "What?" she squeaked.

"They said internal bleeding was what did it. From getting shot," I mumbled.

Frankie shook her head, backing away in horror. "No! You're lying! Nobody was supposed to die!"

She turned on her heels and raced towards the Medical Centre. I stumbled after her, no idea why she was responding like this.

"They're not letting anyone in," I called after her, "Slow down!"

I arrived moments behind her, just as a nurse was apologising to Frankie, and sending her on her way.

"Frankie, I'm sorry. But it's too late; I thought you would have known."

Frankie looked at me with wild blue eyes and panic on her features. "No!" she screeched, scrambling down an alleyway. "This wasn't supposed to happen!"