29. Windows to the Soul...

ACE.

I had almost sprinted straight into the building when I'd realised the horrible mistake I'd made. The guard behind me gave a shout.
Before I could even slow my pace to turn around, an arm was around my waist, and suddenly I was in the air. The speed of zooming off the ground like a rocket sent my hair blowing crazily as I gave a terrified gasp.

'It's okay, just brace yourself.'

I barely had time to process his voice before I was thrown through my window and sent sprawling across the floor. I'd landed on my grazed knees, and they hurt like hell.

I sat staring at the cardboard box and it's spilled contents in the deep blue glow of my room. Everything was dark, still and silent.

My heart was slowly steadying itself again, and my erratic breathing became more paced. I reached blindly through the darkness and pulled the box back towards me. Everything that had been in it was scattered across the floor. Reaching towards my bed and bedside table, I flipped my lamp on. The orange glow lit up enough of the floor for me to see what was there. I looked the objects over as I pulled them towards myself.

A couple of flimsy books... some old rags... a worn deck of cards.

I grabbed the biggest hardcover book and flicked to the back page.

Embedded in the thick back cover was a small leather flap. Nervously I pulled it open, and my breath caught in my throat as a dainty velvet bag came into view. I ran my fingers over the soft crimson fabric, then pulled the little old bag out. I held it up to the light and sighed.

Pulling the ribbons open, I tipped the bag into my palm, and a glistening silver necklace fell into my hand. Twisting the cold metal through my fingertips, I adjusted the chain until I could see the pendant that hung on the end. It was a complicated little treasure; a heart shape, but with an array of tiny wires, screws and cogs all over it. In the very centre was a minuscule key-hole, small enough to go unnoticed if you weren't studying it closely.

Carefully, I pulled the heart off the chain, slipping the chain back into the bag. Around my neck was a simple black necklace, without a pendant. I put the heart pendant onto it and secured it back around my neck, slipping it out of view under my shirt.

"You don't like the silver chain?" asked a deep voice behind me.

I may or may not have leapt ten feet into the air. "What are you doing here?" I asked, stunned.

Whisp lent on the window frame and looked at me for a second. "Um... I just saved you from getting spotted by the guards, and I don't even get a 'thank-you'? That's cold, Amelia."

I clenched my jaw and swallowed hard. I was so occupied with the box, I hardly even questioned how I'd been whisked into the air.

"It's Ace. And if I wanted your help, I would have asked for it," I said sharply, standing slowly up and walking hesitantly towards him.

With the backdrop of the starry night sky, Whisp was practically invisible. I knew he was strong, and it was quite intimidating having him there. Of course, I'd never tell him that. As far as anyone was concerned; nothing could ever intimidate me.

"That's the thing; you wouldn't have. I know you don't ask for help. You just want to seem tough. You don't even admit it when you're hurt."

I froze, watching as Whispering Death stepped into my room and paced about on the carpet. He picked up one of the books off the floor and sat on the end of my bed.
Had he not been incredibly adorable sitting there flicking through the book like an intrigued little child, I would have kicked him out already.