24. You'll Never Understand It. Part Two.

ACE.

A peach-coloured sky was my only companion as I wandered my way towards the cafeteria at 6:20 in the evening.
I was caught in my thoughts as I walked along the white footpath, my eyes turned away from the heavens. I looked down at my hands, clean and soft, with nothing but a few little scars and the faint letter 'H' to prove my past.

As I passed by another shining glass building, I looked at my reflection. I was all clean and tidy, my wounds healing quickly. My clothes were crisp and neat, and my hair was shiny and soft. I could hardly recognise myself.

I looked just like them. Like the prodigies. Like the Elites. But I wasn't one of them. I could never be. The scars that patterned my body... the threatening glimmer that danced in my eyes... the raw power that coursed through my veins...

These were the traits of a Camp-kid.

I had lived in the Camp for so long. I had grown up there, breathing the musty air and tasting the bitter rage of thousands of teenagers. But I wasn't one of them. I could never be. I was not a Camp-kid. I was something more. I could feel the elegance... the sophistication and beauty of something that was not the fight-or-flight conscience of Camp Three.

I didn't belong in the Camp. I didn't belong in the Academy. I could not fight for something I did not belong to.

"Ace, wait up!"

I was torn from my thoughts as Tyler jogged over, a warm smile on his face.

"Can I walk with you to the Cafeteria?" he asked, his blue eyes shining.

"I'm not opposed to the idea," I said in response. Tyler fell into step beside me and we walked on.

And at that moment, I realised something. My place wasn't with the Camp, or with the Academy. My place was with the teenagers- the prisoners. And that was a cause I could fight for.

...

TYLER.

I was glad to find Ace on her way to dinner. After Josh and I had left her alone (Frankie had already run-off well before that), I had suddenly felt like that was not such a good idea; maybe we should have stayed with her and convinced her to come and get dinner with us. However, luckily this wasn't the case.

"You wanna know something, Ace?" I asked, slowing my walking and shielding the sunset's light from my eyes. Ace paused and looked up at me, her features quizzical.

"Enlighten me," she said.

I grinned at her comment and leant against the wall.
Noticing our reflections in the glass wall across from us, I couldn't help but realise how opposite we were. She was the shortest of the group, I was the tallest. She had wavy, dark brown hair- mine was straight and golden blond. Her eyes were a warm mixture of green and brown, mine were a bright blue. Her ivory skin was speckled with freckles, I had fair, spotless skin. Also, she was very petite- I was kind of built. I could easily pick her up and sling her over my shoulder... which happened to be hilariously tempting.

"You might very well be the bravest girl I've ever met," I said, grinning and starting to walk again towards the low-lying building across the courtyard.

"And what makes you say that?" she asked, quickly catching up with me.

I shrugged, "You've been through a lot. I never knew the Camp was like that... heck, I only heard about Camp Three a few months back."

Ace looked at the floor, but I could tell she was flattered, "What can I say... it turns out I'm just good at surviving."

"I'm sure you're good at other things, too," I smiled, nudging her arm and sticking my tongue out. Ace rolled her eyes.

"What exactly do you mean, Tyler?" she asked innocently.

"I dunno," I shrugged, "Maybe you'd make a good helicopter..."

Before she could summon a confused, "what?" I grabbed her round the waist and hoisted her up over my shoulder, spinning around so fast her legs were at parallels to the ground.

"Tyler, put me down!" she shrieked, but the laughter in her voice only made me spin faster.

"Never!" I yelled, wheeling across the grass. Other kids on their way to dinner had stopped and stared, or were laughing at us, but I didn't care. Everything felt right when I had Ace so close to me. It was like nothing in my life had mattered until now.

"Tyler, I'm gonna be sick!" Ace gasped through her laughter.

"Please don't!" I said, slowing my spinning. I soon stopped and lowered her gently down, but I didn't let her go. As her laughing settled, Ace looked up at me, her eyes shining. On the way down, her arms had made their way around my neck, and mine were still around her waist, our bodies pressed together, our faces only inches apart. I could feel the steady pace of her breathing, and her soft skin against mine made my heart buzz.

We paused like that for a moment, staring into each other's eyes... waiting...

"Ace," I asked quietly, "Do you believe in love at first sight?"

A small giggle escaped her lips, "I don't know," she mused, "I've never heard of it."

I was shocked for a moment, then realised that of course she'd never heard of it; why would she? She'd lived in the Camp for so long, she probably hadn't heard stories or even read books. I wondered for a second if she knew how to read, but then remembered that she'd been to English class.

I sighed, breathing in the closeness, "It's pretty self explanatory," I said gently, slowly lifting my hand to her cheek, "It's when you see someone for the first time, or you haven't known them for very long... but you just look at them and you know..." I let my fingers trail across her cheek, tucking a few loose strands of hair behind her ear, "You look at them and know you'd do anything for them. You look at them and know you're in love with them."

Ace blushed and looked away. I let go of her and she took a small step back. "I... I don't know, Tyler. Do you believe in love at first sight?"

I grinned and looked at the floor, then back up at Ace. The gentle breeze blew her hair, making it sway to and fro, and the golden evening light lined her figure. Her eyes shone with a thousand stars. I was captivated.

"Yes," I whispered, looking into her eyes, "I do."

Ace blushed again and turned around, clearing her throat. "Anyway, we better get to dinner..." she said, becoming aware of the other kids who were watching us.

I let out an awkward laugh, "Haha, um... yeah. You run along, I'll catch up in a sec."

With a quick glance back at me, Ace shrugged and crossed the rest of the grass and went into the Cafeteria. Our small audience dispersed. I ran a hand through my short blond hair and blew out a cyclone I didn't know I'd been holding in. Suddenly there was a hand on my shoulder.

"I knew it. Making a move already, just like I said."

I turned to Dallas and rolled my eyes. "Dude, it's not like that," I said, but I could feel my cheeks getting hot.

"Isn't it?" Dallas sniffed, his wild mop of curls bouncing with the momentum. I shook my head and began walking towards the Cafeteria.

"Drop it, you'll never understand it," I said.

"Try me," he challenged.

I began, "No, it's just that... she's just..."

"Everything you ever dreamed of?" Dallas interrupted, "The light of you life? The wind under your wings?"

"No, Dallas!" I denied, shoving him away, "All I'm saying is that-"

"You love her!" Dallas interjected again. I tried to speak, but he just kept saying it over and over again, "You love her! Just admit it! I saw the way you held her, I saw the way you looked at her! You totally like her! Like, major blushy-heart-eyes LIKE her, like her!"

"Okay, fine... FINE!" I yelled, just trying to silence him before we got too close to the Cafeteria.

Dallas raised and eyebrow, waiting for me to say it. "Well...?" he pushed.

"Okay, okay, maybe you're right," I admitted, sighing and looking at the floor, "I like her," and just because it felt good to say it aloud, I added, "A lot."