16. Agent.

AGENT LUX.

I never realised who I was dealing with. I never realised that she was most likely the all-powerful Elite we were looking for.

Then suddenly it clicked.

How could Ace not be Amelia? All the dots lined up; she had to be. But there was no way she would tell me. I was pretty sure I was the last person to whom she would ever confide her secret identity. After all, she hated my guts.

"I guess I'll have to see you two later," said Rowan, sauntering off towards the cafeteria lines. I shot my gaze back to Ace, my gun still pointed directly at her.

"What will it be, Ace?" I asked, "Will you obey orders, or face the consequences?"

Ace stared me down, her eyes narrowed into menacing slits.

"Shoot me, Lux. I dare you," she said, her voice unwavering.

I paused, unmoving. We just stood there at a stalemate.

"You won't kill me," Ace said, her eyes still locked onto mine.

I took an abrupt step towards her and noticed her flinch.

"You can't call a bluff that's not there," I said, placing the end of the barrel against her skin. She didn't fight- just stood there, the gun against her forehead. She looked me square in the eyes, and I couldn't look away. Maybe she knew I would do it, and she just didn't care. Maybe she honestly believed I wouldn't shoot. I couldn't tell.

"Pull the trigger, Bailey."

I froze. Bailey? She knew my name. How? And was she trying to call a bluff or did she really want to die?

"You know my name," I said slowly, still hesitant on the trigger.

She reached a hand up and pulled my ID out of my jacket pocket.

"I had been looking for keys, but found this instead," she said, still calm.

I snatched the ID card out of her hand and shoved it back in my pocket. She must have read it after the elevator incident. I stared at her for a moment longer, then put my gun away. I leant close to her, grabbing her arm so she would hear me whisper.

"Listen now, because I won't repeat this. If you want to survive, meet me at the bridge behind the Arena at midnight. If you get caught, the deal's off."

I shoved her back and nodded at the cafeteria lines. She looked at me for a moment, confusion in her eyes, but she took her chance and walked off, headed to breakfast.
The regular cafeteria chatter built up again, and I turned on my heels and marched my way out.

Towards Building One.

...

Ace went and got herself some breakfast, then looked out at the room, deciding on where she could sit. When she saw Josh and Frankie in the corner, she decided to join them.

It was awkward enough when it had just been Josh and Frankie, and Ace only made it worse. Though Josh gladly kept her close, Frankie didn't particularly like their new recruit. She especially didn't like the way Rowan was when he was around her.

If Frankie was completely honest with herself, she would have to admit that she wished Rowan was more than just her friend. However, when she looked at him, and the way he glanced at Ace, whether in arrogance or admiration, Frankie couldn't help but be jealous.
Rowan was everything to Frankie; he was smart, brave, strong and witty. And above all; he was strikingly handsome. Frankie could just get lost in his dark brown eyes, his charming smile and confident disposition.