38. Different Darkness.

JOSH.

I was the first one to race over to Ace's side when the gunshot sounded.

"This meeting is over!" Gaspard yelled.

"That was really rude," Ace moaned, glaring at the roof.

Immediately, the soldiers that guarded the room were sent away, and Lieutenant Gaspard and Commander Kronin stormed off to argue outside the room. I dropped to Ace's side in a horrified panic, and the others followed moments later.

"Ace!" I cried, frantically looking for her wound.

"Hey, Josh," she mumbled absently, lying flat on her back. A deep red stain started to spread from her side like an ink blot, above her hip but below her rib. Ace clasped the wound, blood soon seeping through her trembling fingertips.

"Ace, what have you done?" I murmured, pushing her messy hair away to see the fear in her eyes. Still, she put on a brave face.

"It's fine, I'm fine. It's just a bullet," she insisted, but her voice wavered terribly. Tyler knelt on her opposite side, closest to the wound.

"Ace, stay still. We're going to get you some help," Sebastian ordered, grabbing Frankie's wrist. The two of them dashed out of the room.

I glanced across the room to Rowan. Out of anyone here, he would have been the most well-equipped to deal with the situation. But considering it was Ace who was in the heat, Rowan sat off to the side, head in hands, not daring to make matters worse.

"I'm fine, really. It doesn't even hurt," Ace panted, struggling to sit up. "Whoa!"

She collapsed back into Tyler's arms, shaking like a leaf and breathing erratically. Tyler pulled her close, holding her affectionately. I couldn't help but wince. His arm was around her, propping her up, while one hand assuringly stroked her cheek. Their faces were only inches apart, and he was whispering something to her that I couldn't hear.

Ace blinked slowly, seemingly taking in Tyler's words like air. Her eyes had a dizzy, delirious look about them, and her chest rattled when she breathed. Tyler soothed her, whispering over and over again.

I couldn't take it anymore. I was supposed to be there. I had always been the one to protect her, to look after her, to hold her back from getting into trouble. It wasn't right. It was too much.

"Tyler, I-"

I stopped my objections, aware of Ace. The way her shaky fingers reached out to Tyler, running down his cheek and across his jawline, as she whispered things I would pay to hear. I was mesmerised by her longing eyes, and the way they stared into his.

"Josh? Are you alright?" Tyler asked, concerned. I nodded. His concern was like a rebuke, flooding me with guilt. He was worried; worried for me and worried for Ace. He cared about her. From the kindness of his heart, he cared for Ace how I never could. He was everything she deserved and everything she wanted. It was better this way.

"Yeah," I said quietly, "I'm alright."

Then I stepped back to give them what they wanted; each other.

...

ACE.

I had always wondered what it felt like to swing from a chandelier. I had also wondered what it felt like to be shot. What a happy coincidence that I got to experience them both on the same day. All at once. Lucky me.

"Ace, look at me. I'm right here, I've got you, okay? You're safe now," Tyler whispered again and again, his words washing over me like waves on a deserted ocean shore. I clung to him like a lifeline, afraid to let go. Afraid to face the pain again. I just wanted to fade out and forget it all. My vision blurred; perhaps with tears, I wasn't sure. I felt nothing but a throbbing, overwhelming ache, and the urge to close my eyes and sleep. My mind felt numb, my senses grew weak.