59. Distraction.

ACE.

I cheered at the top of my lungs, my legs dangling over the edge of the hammock. I was giddy with adrenaline and excitement. At first, I had been hesitant about trusting a piece of fabric that high in the air, but I was used to it after a few minutes. Especially after Rowan climbed in next to me, his arm wrapping around my waist to keep me steady. Every time he moved, my heart flipped a little.

"Skullduggery is going to win," Rowan decided, pointing to the fighter in the pale green mask. Two competitors balanced on the bars inside the cage, lunging at each other whilst trying not to make the cage swing too much. Thier aim was to be the first one to climb completely out of the opening on the top of the cage. Also, not to get extremely injured.
As Rowan had predicted, 'Skullduggery' tricked his opponent into thinking he was going to strike, then jumped and pulled himself up. The other tried to grab him, but he kicked him right in the jaw as he hung, and made his way out.

"Woohoo!" Rowan cheered. I joined in the clapping as the fighter bowed, holding onto the chain that secured the cage to the ceiling. "There'll be a short break during the changeover- the next fight is going to be good," he said.

"Are any fights ever good?" I asked.

Rowan sighed and leaned back, making the hammock swing. I gasped and grabbed his arm. Tight.
"Whoa, it's okay, you're okay," Rowan said quickly, keeping still.

"Just try not to move too much," I warned. Rowan looked at me for a second, sitting happily on my right.

"Make me."

I felt my soul leaving my body as he threw himself backwards.

"Rowan!" I shrieked, slipping back in the hammock. He laughed, laying back in the hammock and pulling me with him so he could shake the whole thing. I felt my stomach drop. "Stop it!" I screamed, burying my face in his chest, an iron grip on the front of his shirt, "I hate you! Stop it!"

Rowan laughed hysterically, finally keeping still enough for everything to calm down. The hammock swayed slightly, like a baby's cradle rocking side to side as Rowan and I lay together. I still didn't want to open my eyes.

"Ace?" Rowan asked, his arms wrapped around me.

"Go to hell," I whispered.

He laughed a little, his chest rising and sinking beneath me. "I'm sorry," he said, "I won't do it again. Look, you're okay."
I opened my eyes, staring only straight ahead. Rowan held my gaze and smiled.

"You're the worst," I pouted, loosening my death-grip on his shirt. He shifted sideways a little so I could roll into the gap beside him. We lay on our backs, looking at the ceiling as it moved slowly left and right.

"Then why are you here?" he asked quietly, neither of us looking at each other.

"I don't know," I said. "The list of things I don't know seems to be growing every second."

"Tell me about it," he said. "There's war on the horizon, and I don't even know whose side I'm on."

"You're still set on working with Council?" I asked, "After all this?"

"Half of them are my family, Ace," Rowan pleaded, "Can't you understand that? I can't just abandon them for a group of kids who hardly know what they're doing."

"You don't think the rebels stand a chance, do you?" I asked hesitantly, not really wanting to know the answer.
Rowan turned on his side, and I did the same, so we could see eye-to-eye.

"With you, Ace," he said, his fingers entwining with mine, "They just might."

...

ROWAN.