CH29-'Balance is essential'

My head aches as my alarm shrieks down my ear. After switching it off, I put my pillow over my head and try to get back to sleep.

"Come on, Beatrice. It's time for school" my Mother shouts from the kitchen.

I sigh before getting up and putting my clothes on. I put my hair into a messy bun and slip on some grey shoes.

I still can't stop thinking about yesterday. About Jay dieing. About Ellen's conspiracy. About everything.

"I made your honey on toast" my mother smiles and I manage to move the corners of my mouth upwards slightly.

"Cheer up hunny" My mother smiles.

"Cheer up? Mum, one of my friends has just died and Erudite won't even tell his family what has happened" I snap and she looks at the feet.

"I'm sorry" I apologise as I take a seat around the table.

"Hey, listen. I know your upset but hopefully they will tell you something today. You just have to hold you chin up high, okay sweetie?" She reassures and I nod, not completely agreeing with her.

My mother has always been the 'forgive and forget' type of person whereas I, myself, am more of a stubborn 'I want to die in a hole' type of person.

"Where's Caleb?" I ask after I swallow a piece of Honey on toast.

"He left about 5 minutes ago" my mother replies as she chops a carrot in half.

"He left? Why so early?" I ask but she just shrugs.

I still didn't get around to asking about Caleb's mystery 'surname' that he has been using. I for sure will confront him about it tonight.

"Eat up. Your going to be late" she hurries so I shove the remains of my breakfast into my mouth.

When I swallow the food, I kiss my mother on the cheek and walk out of the door. I head towards the bus stop where Ellen is standing.

"Hey, how come your getting on at this stop today?" I ask.

"I just wanted to have a walk before school so I walked towards this bus stop so it would give me time to think about everything that's happened" she smiles slightly and I return it.

"Do you think they will give us any information today?" She sighs.

"I don't know. I hope so" I huff.

"It just makes no sense. The rumours about what's in the inside roof, the missing people, Jay's death, Erudite's suspicious actions, keeping secrets and everything else" she sighs.

"Wait, when you say the rumours about what's in the inside roof, do people know what's in there?" I ask.

"There's loads of rumours. Some say that they harbour Divergent's up there and torture them for answers to their unknown questions" Ellen mumbles on.

"What are Divergent's?" I ask.

She looks around to see if anyone is near enough to hear us but the coast is clear.

"You don't know? Divergent's are the people in the faction system that cannot be controlled, no matter how intelligent Erudite's simulations are" she says, now with wide eyes.

"Erudite's simulations?" I question.

"At the aptitude test, if you are divergent you will get more than one faction as a result. After you choose your faction at the choosing ceremony, you go through initiation. Erudite make sure simulations are included in at least one stage of training per faction. That will show who the Divergent's are as the Divergent's will be aware of what is happening whereas the others will not. Erudite and Dauntless are convinced that Divergent's threaten the faction system. It's dangerous" she says shakily.