CH8-'Then i would be pretending'

I pick up a piece of bread and spread some jam over it carefully.

"Where did you go today?" I ask Caleb at the dinner table.

"Oh just to the library" he says suspiciously.

I do not reply for a while. His eye is twitching which always happens when he is lying.

"Did you have a nice day?" My 'Mum' asks Caleb and I.

I nod with a wide grin spread across my jawline.

"Did you have Faction Studies today?" She asks.

"Yes, we have to-" I begin until I am rudely interrupted.

"Mrs Andrews warned us to not let anyone know about our ideas because it could determine our aptitude test results next year" Caleb explains rapidly.

"Of course" my mother smiles understandingly.

"Are you going to be working tomorrow, dad?" I ask.

"Dad?" Caleb laughs but I just roll my eyes.

"Yes,Beatrice" My father replies.

"Is anything going to change?" I ask.

"No dear. Nothing will change" my mother smiles.

"Actually, I have something to tell you all" My father says whilst wiping his mouth with a serviette.

I stop eating and wait for my father to tell us what he has to say.

"I've been offered a new position" He says.

"To take over David's job" he says and looks up to see what our expressions are like.

"That's brilliant!" My mother enthuses.

"Wow" Caleb says in shock.

I stay quiet and just resume eating my dinner.

"Beatrice?" My mother asks and I look up.

"Yes?" I question.

"What do you think?" She asks anxiously.

I shrug and take a sip of my glass of water.

My father and mother exchange looks before sighing.

"You could try and be a little bit pleased" My father huffs.

"Then i would be pretending" I protest as I grab my plate and I put it in the sink.

I walk out of the front door and sit on the step.

How could he do that? How could he replace his friend that has just been made factionless, and act like nothing has happened? I guess it's a good thing but it doesn't appeal to me.

I decide to take a walk around abnegation. I've always liked walking, climbing and things an abnegation wouldn't.

I don't belong in abnegation. I can feel it. It's like there's a part of me missing somewhere, I just need to discover what it is.

I look up to see the train tracks in the distance. When I look closely, I see the dauntless jumping on the train to go to their headquarters.

That's until I realise I'm just imagining.

I see a mother and father walking with a young child, laughing and playing in the grass surrounding their house. I give them a small smile, as if I am acknowledging them, even though I don't mean it.

They look as happy as the amity. I wonder about what faction the child's parents originated from.

Abnegation don't usually discuss their old factions with their parents. I still don't know where my mother and father originally came from.

I hope one day I will find out. Maybe they both started in Abnegation. Maybe they where transfers. Who knows.

I stumble on the stones and almost fall flat on my face. I regain my balance and look to see if anyone saw my act of clumsiness. Luckily, no one saw.

The train leaves the station from the railway and begins to move forward with no one on board, from what I can see. I think about what Four said. About how he has to jump on and off that train everyday. I think about what a difficult lifestyle a dauntless would lead but then again, if you really belonged their, you wouldn't find it difficult. You would enjoy it.

"What's so fascinating?" Caleb asks as he approaches me.

"Just taking in the view" I sigh.

"You could at least try and be happy for him, Beat-...Tris" he corrects himself.

I don't take my eyes of the railway line, I just stare in despair and wait for the train to come back.

"At least pretend, for the families sake" he begs.

I do not reply.

"Is that an 'okay my precious Caleb, I shall now bow down and kiss your feet'?" He smiles.

"Sure" I laugh, finally getting the guts to look him in the eye.

"Are you coming back?" He asks and my expression changes.

"Do you ever wonder what's up there?" I ask him.

"Up where?" I asks confused.

I point to the train track and he looks at me like I am mentally unstable.

"I know what's up there. Train tracks" Caleb laughs.

"How do you know that? After all, it's only the dauntless that use that train" I say.

"Let's go back inside, it's freezing out here" He orders with a shaky voice.

I look at him and nod. I turn my back to the train tracks and begin to walk back to my house which is now, a good half a mile away.

A sudden rush comes to my lungs and I have the urge to turn around, climb up the ladders and onto the railway lines. I fight it off but I can't help feel like a dauntless.

Not an abnegation.

---

(Authors note: Hi guys! Thankyou so much for reading!, Follow my instagram-iamalternative !!!, what did you think about this chapter? Comment if your enjoying this fanfic or not! ILYSM!