CH3-Faction Studies

I arrive at faction studies with Caleb. We take a seat next door to each other and watch all the other abnegation people who would be joining us, enter the classroom.

"Okay, settle down" says a female teacher.

"As you all heard from Mrs Matthews summary of the faction system, she clearly stated that the roof of the school is out of bounds. Anyone caught venturing on the roof will regret it and it will have serious concicuences. Now that we have got that out of the way. I'm Mrs Andrews and I will be your faction studies teacher for the year. Each week you will have the chance to live in the life of each faction. I don't mean that you will wear all the different clothes that the other factions wear, I mean that you will try and complete things that the other factions would do on a daily basis. For example, an erudite does research and they are clever. We would give you a topic to research and you would complete it and report back to me. A dauntless is fearless and brave. You might have to do parkour or face at least one of your fears. We do this to prepare you for your aptitude test when your 16. It will help you find yourself, ensuring you choose the right faction" she explains.

Mrs Andrews was quite young and petite. She had brown hair that was tied up in a pony tail.

"This week we will be investing in your normal faction. Abnegation. Talking about the features an abnegation has and seeing if you can access all those features. Next week, the hard work starts. That's when it becomes interesting and exciting" she says enthusiastically.

"Any questions?" Asks Mrs Andrews.

A boy in the corner shoots his hand in the air like a bullet.

"What faction will we be studying next week?" He asks.

"That's for me to know and for you to find out" she grins and I find myself secretly smiling.

***

"Remember to bring your books to next lesson students!" Mrs Andrews reminds us at the end of period 3.

It is lunch time now but first I go to the toilet. When I'm finished, I wash my hands with soap. I dry my hands and smell the sweet smell of the soap.

I walk to the cafeteria. Just as I am about to open the doors, a familiar face appears next to me.

"Hey Tris!" Says Ellen.

"Hey" I smile.

"Want to have lunch with us?" She asks.

"Us?" I question.

"Yeah, me and some other dauntless-borns" she grins.

I'm about to decline but I feel rude so I accept.

"Oh okay. Yeah, sure" I smile delightfully.

I don't know how happy the other dauntless-borns will be about me sitting with them but I decide to go along with it anyway.

I feel nervous as we approach the dauntless students.

"Guys, this is Tris" Ellen introduces me.

For a few seconds it's silent but then, to my surprise, they all start smiling and cheering.

"I'm Matt, lovely to meet you" we grins widely.

The others introduce themselves to me and one of them who I believe is called erin, even gives me a hug.

"So Tris, how are you on this fine eventful morning?" Asks Matt and everyone laughs.

"Do you ever shut up?" Laughs another to Matt.

"It was just a polite way of asking a question" Says Matt.

"Since when were you polite?" Asks erin.

"Since we had guests" he winks to erin.

Erin rolls her eyes and I can feel the tension between them.

"I'm okay, I think" I answer his question.

"You think?" He questions.

"It's just a lot to take in, you know, high school" I smile.

"Yeah, especially chemistry" Matt says.

"I don't understand a thing that comes out of your mouth you know, Matt?" Laughs erin.

"What? Chemistry was really hard and confusing, like how am I meant to know how to make a simulation of chemicals? Because I don't and I really don't want to" Matt laughs.

A simulation? Of chemicals? What exactly where they getting taught in chemistry?

"Well you won't be getting Erudite on your aptitude then, will you?" Ellen winks.

"Hopefully not" Laughs Matt.