CH37 - 'A cup of anything alcoholic.'

A/N: Woah, 2 updates in 2 days! Feel special guys ;)
________________________

"I really don't understand why you had to 'get away for a while'." My mother frowns at my fake and unconvincing story.

I didn't tell her I got drunk, because I didn't. I didn't want her to have the same disappointed look on her face as she did last time when Caleb and I went to that party.

I just told her I needed to escape for a while, "I told you. With everything happening and with some of my class mates mysteriously dying, I just wanted some space."

"Well," she begins, "where did you go?"

"A friends house." I say quickly so it doesn't sound suspicious.

"Which friend?" She questions suspiciously.

"Does it matter?" I ask, throwing my hands up in the air but she just raises her eyebrows, waiting for me to calm down.

"I'm sorry," I apologise, "I'm just not in the mood for an interrogation."

"Okay," she sighs, "have a good nights sleep and we can talk about this another day."

***

"Beatrice!" My door creeks open as my mother peers in.

"I know," I yawn, "I'm up."

She smiles and closes the door behind her.

I walk into the bathroom to get a shower since I stink. I wash myself with the same old body wash which is soon to run out.

Once I am dry, I walk back into my bedroom so I can get changed.

I change into my regular, grey summer dress so I don't get too hot during the day and place my grey slip on shoes onto my feet.

I roughly put two braids into my hair and then surprisingly apply a small amount of mascara so I don't look too rough.

I walk into the kitchen where Caleb is making breakfast and my Mother and Father are sitting at the table, talking about something in the newspaper.

"Good Morning, Beatrice." My father smiles as he gets up out of his chair and hugs me tight, which takes me by surprise.

"Morning." I say, more like a question than a greeting.

"Caleb is making breakfast," I glance at Caleb who tries to avoid my eyes, "take a seat."

I do as my Father says, and I take a newspaper to read.

It's just the same old headlines, categorised into five sections.

The factions.

I shake my head as I read the article about Jeanine Matthews opening a new restaurant, dedicated to the new Erudite technology discoveries.

As Caleb serves me some egg on toast, I smile gratefully and say, "Thank you."

He smiles and scratches the back of his head, obviously feeling guilty or uncomfortable for some reason.

As we all dig into our breakfast, we talk about my Father's job and it seems to he back on track.

Everything is improving, he tells us. No deaths, no people being fired, no scandals, nothing.

The papers have been having trouble publishing anything interesting, since everything is going well.

Once I finish, I grab my bag and head to school with Caleb following behind.