CH9-'Maybe someone got in'

I wake up in a foul mood. I stretch before I get up and then I get dressed. I put my hair into a single braid today, rather than yesterday's 2 braided hairstyles.

I exit my bedroom, hopping as I attempt to put my dull grey socks on.

"Good morning, sweetie" my mother grins.

"Morning" I reply whilst yawning so it comes out more like 'mownin'.

I grab some cereal and add the milk myself. I open the cutlery draw and grab a fork. I take a seat beside Caleb who is nearly finished.

"How long have you been up?" I ask him.

"About, 5 minutes more than you" he replies plainly.

"Why are you rushing?" I question.

"Places to go, people to see" he smirks.

"People to see?" I ask.

"It's a saying, Beatrice" he smiles and I cringe at how he calls me by my full name.

I never liked Beatrice and now that I feel like I have a new name, it seems too absurd to be called Beatrice.

He puts his plate in the sinks and kisses my mother on the cheek. He leaves the house quickly.

"Does he seem like he's hiding something?" My mother asks but I shrug.

I want to tell her that I was thinking the same thing but I don't have the energy to get involved with a serious conversation.

I take my last mouthful of cereal and chew it rapidly as I place my bowl in the sink.

"Bye mum" I smile and give her a kiss on the cheek.

"Bye Beatrice" she smiles widely.

I close the front door behind me and begin my trek to the bus stop.

I don't tip the driver today and he looks disappointed but I give him a sympathetic smile and he seems to understand.

"Hey Tris" Shouts Matt.

"Hey" I smile.

"How are you?" Asks Ellen.

"Who knows" I laugh and they all seem to laugh back.

"So how many people are going?" Asks Erin.

"16, so far" Matt laughs.

"Going where?" I ask.

"A few of us are going to the main city gates. The one that surrounds the city of Chicago. Rumour has it that last night, someone escaped" Ellen whispers.

"Really? How do you know?" I ask shockingly.

"All the dauntless leaders are swarming around there, along with the Erudite leaders. Even Janine Matthews is there. There is apparently a hole in the gate, they believe either someone got out or maybe.." She says nervously.

"Or maybe what?" I ask.

"Maybe someone got in" she mumbles.

I am shocked at what she is telling me. Someone might have possible got into our city? Even though our whole society has claimed that nothing is out there? No one lives out there? That it is impossible for their to be life outside of the gates? I question all the theories that are running through my mind.

"When are you going?" I gulp.

"Tonight, my dads out there" Ellen replies.

"Your dads a dauntless leader?" I ask.

"Yeah, he teaches the new initiates every year and is part of the Dauntless police" she grins proudly.

"Wow, that's amazing!" I praise.

"I know" she smiles.

The bus pulls up next to school and I jump off the bus before I am pushed by a crowd of excited dauntless-borns. I make my way to chemistry which is Wednesdays first period lesson.

I open the door to see Four staring at his books. He notices me at the door and his eyes light up.

"Tris" he smiles.

"Four" I reply.

"How are you?" He asks.

"Your very caring and curious for a dauntless" I laugh.

All the other students are involved with different conversations within the classroom as we wait for Mr Williamson to attend his class.

"Just because I was born a dauntless, doesn't mean I agree with everything they do, you know?" He states.

"Yeah, I know" I grin.

"So now will you answer my question, how are you?" He smiles.

"Could be better" I reply truthfully.

"And why is that?" He asks concerningly.

"No reason. I just could be better than I am" I lie.

"You need to boost your adrenaline" he laughs.

"Oh really? And how would I do that?" I laugh.

"Come with me after school and I will show you" he smirks.

I think about his offer. I wonder what my mother and father will think of me. What Caleb will think of me. Maybe this will show them that I don't belong in abnegation. That I don't fit in.

"Maybe" I smile.

"Ill take that as a yes. Meet me at the main entrance at 4:00" He grins.

"Okay but if I don't show up, try not to be disappointed" I joke.

"Oh you will show up alright" he says cheekily.

I roll my eyes at him and release a small chuckle.

"Oh by the way, I know what this 6 week project is all about" Four whispers.

His voice is husky when he whispers, it's almost unreal.

"How?" I question.

"I looked in his draws and 'accidentally' found his file folder with all the information in it" he whispers back.

"Four!" I gasp.

"Oh so don't you want to know what the projects about?" He asks giving me a dangerous glare.

"Spill" I smile cheekily.

"It's about how beautiful you are" he smirks.