CH6-'You don't seem very abnegation'

I stumble as I get off the bus but I regain my balance. Luckily, no one saw my act of clumsiness. Or so I think no one did.

I walk into school and go to my first class which is chemistry.

I open the door to see some students sitting down and talking, some standing, some messing around and some even discussing schedules with one another.

I take the only empty seat in the class which is next to the tall handsome boy who asked to sit next to me on the bus yesterday.

"Settle down" A man says as he claps loudly do grasp everyone's attention.

"Marcus, sit down immediately, you need to control yourself young man" He says sternly.

Everyone laughs but our teacher is not amused.

"My name is Mr Williamson and I am from Erudite. I will be teaching you chemistry for the next year or so. As you can see you are all mixed in this class and that is because we don't think it is fair to split you into your factions for such an important subject. We want you all to have an equal chance of opportunities" he lectures.

"You seem mesmerised" the boy next to me smirks.

"I wouldn't say mesmerised, more interested" I whisper.

I see him smirked at me in the corner of my eye but I do not look, nor do I pay attention to Mr Williamson.

I fiddle with my fingers for a while, eventually taking in as much as I can of what Mr Williamson is saying.

"I want you to partner up with the person next to you, your going to have to work together for a 6 week long project. Throughout the week it will become more clear on what we want you to do for this project but today, little will be revealed. All I can say is, think chemicals, simulations, factions. Now what I want you to do is discuss with your partner what you think this project may involve" he explains.

"Guess your stuck with me" The handsome dauntless boy grins.

"I guess so" I say nervously.

"I'm four" he introduces whilst offering his hand for me to shake.

"Tris" I say, taking his hand.

"So, stiff, where should we start? Spider diagrams? Faction research?" He smirks.

"If we're going to be friends, please don't call me stiff" I say.

"Who said we're going to be friends? That wasn't what Mr Williamson asked of us" Four jokes.

"Okay, let's just do this project thing, okay?" I mumble.

"Okay" he huffs.

I begin writing a few notes in our new chemistry books.

"You don't seem very abnegation, Tris" Four remarks.

"It wasn't my fault I was born into abnegation" I say without thinking.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean that. That came out wrong" I gasp.

"No no no. I understand, your not happy with your faction and you want to be in another faction, right?" Four teases.

"That's not what I said" I murmur.

"That's what you meant though, Tris" he says.

I keep quiet and frown as I try to jot down more notes about what the project could involve.

I write down the basics of the faction system and I also write about each faction, explaining what they represent.

***

"No homework for today, I'll see you all tomorrow" Mrs Williamson announces.

I grab my shoulder bag and put the strap over my shoulder. I grab my book and shove it into the bag without patience.

"What are you in a hurry for?" Four says.

"Don't want to be late, that's all" I say simply.

"You definitely wouldn't make it in Candor" he smirks and leaves the classroom.

I roll my eyes and head towards faction studies.

When I arrive, Caleb is sitting down to the right of my seat. He greets me with a quick 'hello', as does the girl who sits on the left of me.

"Where's Mrs Andrews?" I ask Caleb.

"She's not here yet" he explains.

I nod and get my book out, as well as a pencil and a pen.

I put my grey cardigan on the back of my chair, just as Mrs Andrews walks in.

"Good morning, students" she greets us.

"Morning" a few of us say in sync.

"Right" she says as she slams her books down onto her desk.

"Today, to start our abnegation project week, you are going to start a journal. Obviously, we are not going to do the whole journal today so we are going to start today and at the end of the week, you will be graded on the standard of your journal. At the end of all your faction tests, you will get a mark. Obviously, your highest mark will be in Abnegation, Erudite, Amity, Candor or Dauntless. Whichever you get the highest in, shows which one you feel the strongest about and are most capable in. Today, you are going to design a cover for your journals. You will work independently in this, with no help from your classmates. This is your exam, this could determine which faction you choose at the choosing ceremony in a years time. It could determine you aptitude test results. You need to keep this project to yourself, no sharing your ideas" Mrs Andrews says sternly.

"Okay, for your front cover think how an abnegation would think. All of you are abnegation but not all of you will fit into abnegation like someone else in your faction will. Some of you will struggle in abnegation whereas someone else might fly through this week. However, next week you might fly through the faction that we choose, and that person who flew through abnegation, could struggle. Do not underestimate your abilities, students. Do your best" she smiles.

"When I hand out the journals, you cannot open them. You may only look at the front page. You may begin when everyone has retrieved a journal" she says as she begins to hand out the journals.

My journal is placed on my desk. They are a dirty grey colour. Nothing is on them except a outline boarder.

Caleb nods at me, as if to say good luck.

"Has everyone got a journal?" Asks Mrs Andrews.

Everyone nods.

"You may begin" she says as calmly as possible.