The Human Factor

Will you quit testing the connection? Jackie grumbled at Smoke.

Sorry. He replied.

Ignore him, Smoke. He couldn't stop testing the connection for a few weeks when it first formed between us. You're nowhere near that yet. It's only been about a week. I stopped their argument before it could start.

Over the last week, we had merged comm frequencies and added Smoke to the mental link. I had agreed to leave the Apex armor if we could take the Phase-shifter with us.

The bots had agreed.

My attention was snagged by Ratchet.

"Bulkhead, you really mustn't allow yourself to decline." He told the wrecker.

"Yeah, Bulk, you gotta pull yourself outta this funk." Miko backed Ratchet up.

"What's the use?" Bulk retorted.

"You need to regain your strength, the time will come when-"

Bulk cut Ratchet off.

"When what? When all of you will need an assist? Isn't that what the new guy's for?"

"Hey, Bulkhead, I've been thinking. With your injury and all, you might wanna take advantage of the armor we got from Starscream. Instant muscle suit!" Smoke tried to help, holding the Apex armor out to Bulkhead.

"You think I need a crutch?!" Bulk demanded. He punched the armor into the computer.

"Bulkhead! I needed that!" Ratchet shouted.

"Easy, Bulk. He was just trying to help." Jackie stood from his spot, walking over to Bulk. "If you aren't gonna try to get better on your own, then you're going to need to think of something else."

My side feels cold now. I complained. Smoke took his spot.

"Besides, Smoke is my Partner. He isn't even part of Team Prime. He's pretty much just back-up. Like Jackie and I are." I tried to comfort the Wrecker.

It didn't seem to be working.

It did break Bulk out of his funk though.

"He looks like he's fit for duty to me." Smoke commented from his place.

Jackie came back over, and seeing his spot had been taken, sat beside Smoke. They started a mental conversation about tactics they could use when they were in battle with me.

Don't forget about the fact that I can launch you without much trouble. I reminded them. Nor the aerial advantage we have.

A while later, we were sitting in a comfortable spot, just basking in the mental and physical presence of one another when Fowler walked in.

After a round of greeting and introducing Smoke and Fowler to one another, he started explaining why he was here. We got up and joined the others. I switched forms to do so.

"At 16:30 hours, a satellite was taken from a high security military vault. Surveillance shows the Decepticon known as Breakdown at the scene."

"Haven't seen him in a while." Bulk commented.

I thought he offlined? Smoke commented.

He did. I replied.

We witnessed it. Jackie added.

"It looks like Breakdown entered the base in vehicle mode with someone behind the wheel." Fowler continued.

"A Decepticon paired with a human?" Ratchet questioned.