A Sleepless Night

**February 25th**

Suga rolled over in the bed that morning, grabbing at cold sheets as he tried to pull Mariana closer. He stretched his arm out a few times with his eyes still closed and woke up when he found the edge of the bed with no Mariana. He sat up to look around the room, still not seeing her anywhere as he noticed the time on the digital clock.

3:20 a.m.

He got out of bed and wandered out of the bedroom, looking to the bathroom door that was wide open, showing no one inside. He looked out of the glass basement patio doors, seeing a light on the inside the horse barn. He put on his sweatshirt and leather jacket as he followed his hunch outside to the barn, where he found Mariana sitting inside the heated tack room, with her back to the door. She was sitting at the fold up round table, disassembling and cleaning bridles and breast collars.

Suga quietly leaned on the door frame with a sympathetic half-smile tugging at the corners of his lips as he watched her for a couple of minutes before quietly knocking on the door frame.

"What are you doing?"

Mariana looked back to him, and then back to her leather parts to continue cleaning, doing her best to hide the puffiness in her eyes. "Cleaning." She simply stated.

"At 3:30 in the morning?" He asked with a sympathetic tone as he stood up straight, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Yeah." Mariana simply stated with a sniffle and continued cleaning.

While Suga knew better than to ask, he couldn't help himself. "Have you been crying?"

Mariana mentally cringed as she heard Suga's footsteps approaching her. ".....No." She stated with an ever so slight upwards infliction.

Suga walked up beside her, pulling up one of the other folding chairs at the table. He reached out and put a hand on Mariana's knee, his other arm resting against his own knee. "You can talk to me, Ana. You know that, right?"

She looked to Yoongi's hand, her eyes following up his arm to meet his concerned, but supportive expression. "I miss him so much." She started at almost a whisper as she fidgeted with the dark brown browband in her hands. "I always watched his back when he worked the cows. I wasn't here when he needed me...."

"Ana, come here." Yoongi requested as he took Mariana's closest hand in his and started gently pulling her into his lap.

Mariana set the browband she had back onto the table with her cleaning rag and let Yoongi guide her into his lap so he could hug his arms around her, Mariana wrapping an arm around his shoulders to balance herself. "Jagiya, don't blame yourself for this. Nobody could have ever seen this coming."

Mariana just buried her head into the bend of his neck, prompting Yoongi to run a hand over her hair for a moment until Mariana's phone started ringing with a video call.

Mariana's brow furrowed slightly in confusion as she sat up and dug her phone out of her sweatshirt pocket, the confused expression immediately dissipating as she saw Jimin's caller I.D on the screen. She sat up a bit as she accepted the call, and waited for it to connect.

"Hey, noona." Jimin greeted, a little sympathetic smile on his face. "How are things?"

"Too different without dad around, but fine otherwise."

"I'm so sorry, Ana. We're just about ready to takeoff. We should be in Chicago late afternoon or dinner time. When are the services?"

"Wednesday the 27th. We'll do the visitation services for everyone who wants to come, and then he's being cremated the 28th. We should have his ashes back by March 1st, and then we're spreading some of his ashes in the first pasture he established out here." Mariana explained, occasionally having to sniffle back tears.

"Did you actually get her???" They heard Jungkook from somewhere in the background.

"Ye!" Jimin exclaimed and Jungkook came into frame from behind Jimin's airplane seat almost immediately.

"Hi, Kookie." Mariana greeted him as Suga adjusted his arm around Mariana's back a bit.

"Hey." He greeted, waving a hand at Jimin's phone camera. "We've been worried about you." Jungkook stated as he put an arm around Jimin's head rest.

"I'm sorry I just dropped out on you guys like that. It's been kinda shakey the past couple of days over here." She really did feel bad, but she had so much going on at the time, that she just hadn't been able to bring herself to be social.

"Don't be. We all understand. This isn't exactly an easy time. You needed some time for yourself." Jungkook said in understanding, Jimin nodding along in agreement.

"Thanks, guys." Mariana said with a faint little smile as Suga supportively snugged up his arms around her.

"That's what we're here for." Jungkook started.

"If you need anything, don't hesitate to let us know. We're here for you." Jimin added.

Mariana nodded a couple of times. "I will."

"Now go inside and get some sleep, okay? We'll see you in a few hours." Jungkook requested.

"I'll try, Kookie."

"Promise?" He asked with raised eyebrows.

Mariana nodded with a little smile. "Yeah, I promise."

Jimin held out his pinky. "Pinky promise?" He asked with a small, typical Jimin smile.

Mariana couldn't help but smile and hold out her pinky. "I pinky promise, Jimin."

"Good. Goodnight, Ana. We'll all see you in a few hours." Jungkook said with a little smile.

"Night, guys." Mariana said just before Jimin hit the end button. She turned her phone off and stuck it back into her sweatshirt pocket before looking to Suga. "Let me do some reassembling and we'll go back inside, okay?"

"Sure thing." Suga told her and let Mariana get off of his lap so that she could better reach her pile of bridle pieces.

Yoongi watched her with intrigue as Mariana started putting everything back together, enjoying seeing her reassemble the miscellaneous strips and loops of leather until everything fit together the right way.

"Is there anything I can help with?"

"Uhmmm. Yeah." Mariana said and dug out some specific pieces of studded leather and made them into a second pile. "That should be all of it. This is a pile of two Western briddles. They're way simpler than the dressage ones I'm working on." She started and showed Suga how the bridles went together and how to put the reins back onto the bits. "Think you can manage those?"

"Yeah, they don't seem too bad."

"Awesome. We'll be done in no time." She said with a little smile.

They sat in comfortable silence as they worked on briddles, making small talk every now and then. Suga was having no problems with his briddles by the time he finished the second one, and Mariana started on her last dressage bridle. They were almost done at the same time until Mariana held hers up and realized the cheek straps were both on backwards.

She sighed in slight aggravation and pulled the bridle into her lap again and quickly flipped the pieces around before holding it up again. "Much better."

"Where do they go?" Suga asked as he stood up with his bridles.

"I can get them." Mariana stated and moved her hand towards Suga to take them, but he just moved them away from her.

"Where do they go?"

Mariana mentally sighed a bit, knowing that she wasn't going to out-stubborn him. "Those empty hooks on the left wall. No particular order." She said and gestured to the wall behind him.

Suga hung each of his bridles up as Mariana did the same, and then joined him by the door.

"Anything else?"

Mariana checked the time on her phone. "3:20? No. Horses don't get fed until seven, and even then, Barry comes over and gets them started for the day."

"Good. Because I think I can hear the bed calling our names." Suga joked as Mariana closed the tack room door behind them and they walked back to her bedroom to get a few more hours of sleep.