Angelic: Chapter 27

Start from the beginning

     The look that flashes across Aaron’s face almost looks like regret; as if he wishes Rahim didn’t know we were here together alone.  I don’t call him out on it, though, for I’m probably imagining things.

                The waitress reappears and hastily slides the drinks onto our table before returning to the bar to take more orders.  I slip my hands around the hot coco, and love the feel of it against my hands.

                I raise it up to my lips, and swallow it slowly, letting it heat up each part of my body slowly. It’s amazing, what a hot drink on a cold day can do to the body.  Aaron mirrors me with his coffee, right up to placing it back on the small circular table.

                “He’s a lucky guy.”

                For a brief moment, I turn to look behind me, assuming that he’s talking about some man with a beautiful college girl.  But when I see only the wall behind me, I know what he must be speaking of.

                I’ve never been able to take a compliment well.  I either compliment them back, or turn a fiery shade of red.  Never mind a compliment that’s quite obviously a pick up line. “Yeah,” I say awkwardly, letting the word hang in the air between us.  When he doesn’t say anything more, I add, “I hope you didn’t get the wrong idea about this.”

                “Of course I didn’t,” Aaron says quickly, his effortless smirk returning to his face. “But I have to mention how beautiful you are.  Our relationship doesn’t really exist without my pick up lines, and you constantly stomping on my heart.” He clutches dramatically at his chest, and I break out into chiming laughter.

                “I suppose that’s true.  Though you make me seem like an evil monster,” I admit, taking a sip of my hot coco.  The hot liquid reminds me of how it feels when Rahim presses his lips against mine, how his touch feels against mine.  It’s still the oddest sensation—not one I’ll likely forget. “I don’t think I’m quite that bad.”

                “My heart has been broken by many, but none as fair as you, my lady,” he says with a mock British accent.  He tips an imaginary hat, and leans farther back in his chair.  I resist the urge to pull him to normal position.  Thankfully, as my eyes flicker nervously from his head to the ground, he sits straight once more.

                “You know, maybe I can get used to this entire evil idea,” I laugh.  “Stomping on guy’s hearts, maybe I can kill Brooke while I’m at it, and my stupid math teacher too.”

                “Many have tried with him, trust me.  At least you’re smart.”

                At least I don’t have to sleep, more like it.  It’s amazing the amount of things I can get done when I don’t grow tired.  When I forget to study, I simply stay up all night doing so, and get no consequence in the morning.  Though I still enjoy sleep, and when I do get it, I have the same habits as before I became an angel.  My dad still has to drag me out of bed, coaxing me with hot coco all the while.

                “Well, so are you.”

                He rolls his eyes, “Right.  How about we don’t pretend that I’m smart, and I won’t pretend that you can kick a ball?”

                “But you are—" Aaron raises his eyes suspiciously at me.  I sigh, "Deal", shaking his hand across the table.

            We continue to chat, about anything and everything, and I have to admit, it’s nice.  He doesn’t make it awkward at all; it’s like coffee with an old friend.  I’m glad that, despite his inappropriate jokes, we can remain close friends.

                He throws out my empty hot chocolate cup for me while I pull on my hat and scarf.  Winter accessories have always been some of my favourite—they make my black coat look much more elegant.  Besides, I would look a bit suspicious going outside in the cool, unpredictable weather without proper clothing.

                Aaron opens the door for me, like a gentleman, and even puts his hand behind his back like Jack does in the Titanic.  I laugh, do a mock curtsey, and exit out into the busy streets.  I love how, despite the fact we live in a small town, the downtown is still full of cars, and shoppers going from here and there.  A little boy and girl brush past us, holding hands and giggling.  Just beyond them are a college couple kissing, and walking past us is an old woman, with a dog on a short leash.

                It’s funny to think how they all have lives, just like me.  That the little girl and boy have parents, and best friends who love them, and maybe an annoying older brother.  The college couple have classes they’re struggling with, secrets they’re keeping, friend’s they’re mad at.  The old woman fell in love once, had struggles, lost a job—

                “Earth to Sarionah…” Aaron mumbles, waving his hand in front of my face.  When my eyes snap back into focus and lock with his, he laughs, “Contemplating life again?”

                “More or less.”

                We’ve moved to stand next to a bench, just barely under the shelter of a tree.  He smiles at me, but it’s somehow different.  It sparkles just like always, and lights up his face, but it’s almost nervous.  “Are you with me?”

                “Yes.”

                “Okay, well, I need to tell you something.  And I want you to promise you won’t go zoning out on me or anything.”

                “I  hereby promise I will not go zoning out on you,” I say with a smile, crossing my heart with my finger.

                “I’m serious, Sarionah.”

                “Of course you are.  Now spit it out.”

                I’m shocked that my voice sounds calm, when inside, my stomach is flipping manically.  I feel like this is bad, like I need to prepare.  I almost have the urge to run away, to dart through the cars, and tell him I realized I dropped my cell phone.  Anything but stand here while he gives me that nervous smile; his joking eyes look too serious.

                “I know you love Rahim.  I know you’re positive that he’s the guy of your dreams,” I open my mouth to interrupt, but he continues, “Just hear me out.  I know you love him and all that, but I need to get this out.  ‘Cause I know you know how I feel, but if I don’t say it like this, all blunt, I’ll feel like I didn’t try.  Like maybe I had a shot.  So, Sarionah, I—”

                “Don’t say it,” I breathe.  It comes out harsh and fast, like a gust of wind.

                He searches my face for something.  Then, without any warning, he holds my face in his hands, and leans forward.

                When our lips touch, I know it’s wrong.  I know he’s my best friend, and that I love Rahim, and that his lips are cool, not the passionate burn they are when I’m with Rahim.  Everything about it screams “BAD!” and I want to stop him.  I don’t like the way he’s making me feel.  My legs are going weak, and my thoughts are blurring, and a part of me wants to kiss back.

                But the stronger part of me wins, and I push him away.

                His bright blue eyes are triumphant, and he has that boyish grin of his again.

                “What on earth was—”

                I never finish my sentence.  Because, right then, I lock eyes with Rahim.  He’s there, right where he said he would be, staring straight at us.

Thank you, everybody who's still reading this.  I'm so sorry for never ever updating, I honestly just lost interest in this story. I'll try my hardest to finish it...at some point.  There's just so many things I'm working on (with my best friend, @walkingsunshine).  But if any of you are still reading, I love you.  Thank you for your amazing dedication.