A moment later, the door opened and Sebastian entered. He sidestepped the blanket on the floor and made his way to me. He didn't say anything as he wrapped his arms around me.

"They killed them..." I cried. "They killed all of them, then one of them tried to kill me..."

Sebastian was gently rocking me back and forth, trying to calm me. I was crying so hard I could barely breathe. I felt sick from the sight of blood from my dream.

I tried to speak again, but became choked on the large lump in my throat. I coughed violently, trembling in Sebastian's arms.

"Breathe, Chrystal," Sebastian ordered. I got my coughing under control and took deep, shaking breaths. He was right, I needed to calm down.

After several failed attempts, I finally succeeded in remembering how to breathe, but it did nothing to calm me. I continued to cry into my hands.

"You need to calm down, Chrystal. It was just a nightmare."

I felt myself nod, and began taking deep breaths again. After ages of deep breathing, I finally calmed enough to stop sobbing.

Sebastian smiled. "There you go."

I wiped my tears away and looked up at him. "Why was one of them trying to kill me? I thought all of them understood they need me. Sure, we were resisting, but..."

"There are plenty of demons that will stop at nothing to make sure the prophecy does not come to pass," he answered. He opened his mouth to continue, but closed it instead.

"What? What were you going to say? If it has to do with any of what's going on, I deserve to know."

He gazed at me solemnly, then reluctantly said, "I'd say one of them is who killed your parents."

I stared at him, confused. "Why would they do that? The ones who had been trying to kill me were sent by the demon from last night. They weren't supposed to hurt me. They disobeyed their orders."

Sebastian nodded. "Perhaps they disobeyed because they were convinced by another demon who wanted you dead."

I was shocked. "So the car crash..."

"Most likely a demon caused it, and you were supposed to be the casualty."

"My parents died because a demon didn't want some prophecy to come true?" I stared at the wall as fresh tears pooled in my eyes. I looked back up at Sebastian, thinking back to what the nurses had told me in the hospital when they found no sign of me hitting the ground. "So is it possible that someone really did catch me?"

"I'd say so. Someone who knew about their plan and wanted you to survive." He smiled suddenly. "Chrystal, so many people are counting on you, but believe me, I am not going to force this fate on you. It is a heavy burden you will bear."

I looked back down at my hands. "Is that why you haven't tried to turn me yet? You want me to choose?"

"That's part of it," he said with a small smile. "You are supposed to overcome your trials as a human. It is how we will all know that you are too powerful to remain as you are."

"Powerful? But I don't have any power... All I have is my swords."

"Which, if I may add, you are extremely skilled with. More so than any human I've ever seen."

I looked down at my hands again. "Am I really supposed to be so powerful that people are scared of me?"

"Many of the demons who are scared of you won't even face you now. Only a handful are daring enough to be trying to track you down. I'm sure news has gotten around of our contract by now. They should all be aware of what happens if they attempt to lay a finger on you."

I felt myself relax at that. Sebastian was under a promise to protect me no matter what. Any demons who tried to come near me would have to first go through him. The weaker ones at least seemed to know their place, and that helped to lower their numbers significantly.

Sebastian then suddenly pulled back from holding me, a slight frown on his face. I glanced up at him, his gaze directed somewhere else. "You should try to get back to sleep. I have something I need to take care of, and you need your rest."

"'Something to take care of'?" I asked, staring at his distracted face. "What is it? What's going on?"

He stared down at me, his expression softening as he saw my fear building again. He leaned down and kissed my forehead. "Rest."

I felt myself nod, and he lay me back down against my pillows. He picked up the blanket from the floor and tucked me in, then smiled at me before leaving the room.

I'd wanted to call out to him again, but lost the will as I became aware of my exhaustion and fell into a dreamless sleep.