So near, So far

To you,

Who's so near yet so far. 

You tell me you're just a text away. I know that. I text you and count the minutes till the ticks turn blue while you're still online. Trying not to think about how it used to be seconds and you never let me count till five. No, I don't mind the wait. I'm glad you've found people to talk to and I hope they care about you more than I do.

 You tell me everything's the same, but how do I believe it? When all my mind is filled with the memories of us from the previous day when we used to be together, when we had to see each other everyday, those endless talks and the inside jokes but now you're part of a different crowd and I wonder what you talk about now.
 I hope you have more fun than we used to have.

You tell me you haven't changed, but how do I believe you? I notice you're a little more confident and a little more carefree now. You talk a lot more now. You have different pet peeves now, that certainly aren't yours  and picked them up from someone you're spending more time with. You have an accent now that doesn't sound like yours. 
Give me some time, I'll try getting used to these changes. 

You reassure me that you're close, that you're near me, yet you seem so far. So so far. At times, you feel like the water; slowly slipping out of my hands. At times, I feel we're running; you on a track, while me on a treadmill and I can't seem to reach you no matter how hard I try to run.  And in those moments I feel a void growing inside me sucking me in. 

Tell me, do you feel it too?