"You know you should always make time for your mother, you don't know how much longer I'll be here," she slaps his shoulder but it's playful and of jest. She didn't seem like she was that old but these days you never know what could happen.

"I know, I'm sorry. It's just a lot going on with the boys and work and Aaron, here keeps me on my toes," he laughs lightly and squeezes my shoulder and suddenly I feel them both looking at me. It's that look. They're wondering. Curious. Questioning.

I wish I had a shell I could turn into when things got like this.

His dad quirks a brow, face unreadable, "You giving him a hard time?" I shift on my feet uttering a negative response and then he smiles, it's a bright, and jovial, "Well you should. I would if I could but I'm just an old man now," I laugh at his words and Derrick does too with a shake of his head and then he's rambling about work and the boys and how they're doing and what they're up to.

I kind of just tuned them out for what feels like an hour maybe less, maybe more. I didn't really say much and they didn't really seem like they minded. Debra asked me about school and what I was doing and simply answered I was homeschooled and she nodded with a sweet smile. She scolded Derrick about how I shouldn't have to stay alone and that he should make arrangements to stay with me and just do his work from the house.

"That's not necessary," I try to give my two cents but Debra waves me off.

"You're a young girl all alone in that big apartment that's no way to be. Anything could happen–god forbid–and you should at least have someone there with you or even just sit with Derrick at the office," She was persistent in this idea and I could hear Derrick sigh as he pinches the bridge of his nose.

"Honey, I'm sure they have their own way of doing things that work for them," Roger rubs his hands down her shoulders again. A way of telling her to backdown.

"I suppose you're right," she huffs and gives me a smile, "Sorry, I'm sure you both know what's best for the situation," Derrick begins to tell her how we tried both when I first moved in and how this was easier for all of us and besides the boys all come home around three or four so i'm not really lonely and it's easier for me to work without distraction.

And then again do I revert back into myself wishing for the day to be over. They talk some more, Derrick mingles with his family with my flanked at his side like type of bodyguard and I'm relieved when it's finally time to eat. My stomach started growling about an hour after we got here and the snacks sat on the table weren't doing any good.

The dining room was rather large a long table takes up majority of the space and the thanksgiving spread was dead center. There were so many of us Debra was kind and smart enough to let people sit in other areas of the house to eat. But not before saying grace and what they were thankful for. They made their plates and got out free while it seemed like more immediate family was in the dining room.

Sat between Cameron and a girl I didn't recognized I zoned out while Debra gave a speech about being happy everyone still wanted to have big family dinners even though they were all older now. They laughed and assured her they'd continue doing even after she passed. A cute sentiment. But of course that wouldn't happen.

"How about we go around and say what we're thankful for?" Some of the younger kids at the table groaned but were quickly reprimanded by their parents and then they began. It was like hearing a broken record.

"I'm thankful for my family."

"I'm thankful for my friends."

"I'm thankful for my new promotion at work."

"I'm thankful for my xbox."

That one didn't go over too well.

Derricks was much like the others saying he was thankful that his parents were still alive and that he could still have big holiday dinners and that was he thankful for his boys being so patient with him and understanding.