Chicago

The convention had been fun. Much more fun than she had expected it to be. It was not like she dreaded going there, but these kinds of events tended to be pretty exhausting and with all the time zone hopping she had done during the last few weeks, she had been prepared to just feel overly tired all the time.

And there had been a major lack of sleep, as her jetlag went full force during the first night she'd been in Chicago.

Somehow, she had ended up falling down a skincare rabbit hole that night. Half of the products she'd bought would be useless, as they didn't even match her skin type, but she was already making plans on gifting them to her sisters and friends.

A little smile stole up her face when she remembered texting Cole if he could drive over to her place to get the packet inside so it wouldn't sit in front her door for the next two days and she'd be able to avoid the forced conversation with her neighbor during which she pretended to be nice to a person that had her sit up straight in bed every morning while blasting Vivaldi and Mozart.

His answer had come within a few minutes:

Cole: Sure. Did Insomnia drive someone down a skincare rabbit hole last night?

Lili: Maybe so.

Cole: I'm not judging. How do you think I got most of the camera stuff I technically don't need, but still have? I decided it's a phenom. It's called "Insomnia-Bullshit-shopping."

Other than her late-night Amazon adventures and the lack of sleep Chicago had been great. She liked interacting with the fans and luckily everyone had been pretty respectful. Plus, it had been a very good chance to catch up with Mads.

But as the plane touched down at LAX, she couldn't help take a deep, relieved breath. It felt good being back. It felt like coming home. Despite everything that had happened in this city, despite all the negative experiences she'd made here, L. A. was now home to her. Maybe not as much as Ohio or North Carolina, but still. It had been here that she'd gotten the news that she'd been casted as Betty. She'd made friendships here that she was sure were strong enough to last a lifetime. He was here.

"So Lilipad, what are you doing with the rest of evening?" Mads asked as they stepped out into the arrival area.

Lili shrugged: "Not much. Unpacking, food and catching up on sleep I guess. There is also some stuff I still need to unpack at the apartment.

Mads raised an eyebrow. "No plans with lover boy?"

Lili rolled her eyes at the nickname and shook her head: "He's spending time with his family, but I'll see him tomorrow. It's not like we are glued to each other Mads."

"You sure about that?" Mads mocked. "It always seems like that on set."

"Look who is talking." Lili replied.

"Point taken" Mads laughed.

...

When the Uber finally arrived in front of the apartment building she'd decided that nothing of the unpacking she'd told Mads about would be happening tonight. She was definitely too tired. A shower, food and then bed. That was the plan.

She climbed up the flight of stairs, her suitcase feeling like it got heavier with every step.

"Can I help you with that?"

The familiar voice made her turn around on her heels. He was standing there, a grin almost threatening to split his face in half.

"Well, I don't know. I'm normally a fairly independent woman that can handle her own luggage."

His grin spread even wider, although she had thought that wouldn't be possible.

"I won't tell anyone, I promise." he said and winked. "Furthermore, I saw you almost falling down the stairs backwards a few moments ago and we can't risk any damage to such a beautiful face."

She felt a blush creeping up her face and almost rolled her eyes at herself. God, how did he always do that?

"Plus" Cole added and held up a bag of Japanese take out. "I brought food."

That was all it took. Lili left the suitcase in the middle of the staircase, almost ran down and hugged him with such a force that he stumbled back a few steps before catching himself and wrapping his arms around her.

"I missed you." she mumbled into his neck.

"I missed you too" he murmured and pulled back a little to kiss her.

"So," she said, when he pulled away again. "That offer of you carrying my luggage still stands?"

He laughed, and they continued up the stairs. "Sure."

But his face fell a little when he lifted the suitcase. "Oh my god, seriously Lili, what did you pack? Rocks?"

She shrugged and winked at him. "You know, we can't all wear the same shirt four days straight."