Apart for the holidays

It's the most wonderful time of the year, they say. Time off from work, time with loved ones, all around nostalgia. She's always loved the holidays, and being with her family. This year is just a little different. No Nana. It's a hard one. Nana was their everything, and now their first Christmas without her made it even worse, not to mention it was also her first birthday in heaven that passed Tuesday. She knew her Nana didn't want her to mope around over it, so she put on a brave face before heading off to North Carolina.

"Have a good flight babe, call me when you land, okay? I'll be landing around noon." He told her. Always the same spiel. He was only being a good boyfriend, especially knowing what a hard time of the year this was this year. He pulled her into a hug, as she was almost reluctant to say goodbye for two weeks. He kissed the top of her head, she decided to return the affection.

"I will. I love you."

"Lil?" She turned back around towards her significant other.

"Just check in with me. I know it's hard, and I'm sorry I can't be there. Call me, every night. I love you." She chuckled at his worry. The petite blonde strolled back over to the taller brunette, to place a kiss on his lips.

"Of course. Every night. 7 p.m. Plus some. I love you, too." They exchanged their final goodbyes and parted ways for the next two weeks.

The flight seemed to drag on. As happy and she was to be going home, a part of her was missing.

As she strapped herself into her mother's car she requested a milkshake from Chick-fil-A. Of course they made the detour before they headed home.

5:26. Landed.

5:38. Called Cole.

7:00. Call Cole. Again.

"What time are you leaving for the cabin?" The family made the decision to rent a huge cabin and fill the family with it for the holidays. Lili got in late, and wasn't up for another 2 hours of travel. Amy decided to wait until morning to make the trek to the mountains.

"I'm not entirely sure, maybe around 7 in the morning. I just didn't want to drive up there tonight, all the travel was making me nauseous. I just needed a break."

"I get that, travel is hard. Oh, Dylan says hi, by the way." An audible 'hello' was heard from Dylan on the other end. Lili laughed.

"Hi, Dyl. Cole? I'm gonna go, I love you."

"Okay, I love you, too. Sleep well. Call me when you get a chance."

"I will, of course. Goodnight babe."

"Goodnight."

The next morning she texted Cole that she was leaving the house, and to call her when he woke up. She missed him dearly, though it had only been a day apart, it wasn't something they were used to. Especially since the last time she was home, he had been with her.

Christmas Day rolled around quickly, with all of the family around it took her mind off what she didn't have. With her goddaughter, Addy, being so young Christmas was still a big deal. They got up at 7:30 that morning to begin their festive filled day.

A buzzing of her phone caught her attention. It was a text from Cole. 'Can you FaceTime?' She responded with a call back as she walked to a quiet corner of the living room.

"Merry Christmas, babe. How has your morning been?" He questioned sleepily.

"Crazy, but fun. I just want breakfast. How about you?"

"Good, it's nice to see family. Especially Dylan. Hey, ask your mom about a gift. She'll know what I'm talking about." Lili gave him a weird look. She got up out of her chair, phone with Cole still on it in hand.

"Mom, do you have a gift from Cole?" Amy rose from her seat and grabbed a gift from her room. Labeled on it was 'To: My Love From: Love: Cole'. She sat in her spot on the couch and set Cole up on the coffee table. Everyone had their eyes on her.

"How did you get this here?" She questioned before she attempted to open it.

"I brought it during Thanksgiving. I had your mom help me wrap it."

"How long have you had this?" Cole and the rest of her family were getting impatient.

"Babe, open it." She laughed at herself and tore open the wrapping paper. It revealed a set of rings, with a necklace to match. Beautiful petite pieces of fine jewelry. They were all ones she had shown him before.

"You remembered?" She was tearing up. The jewelry wasn't cheap. They were supposed to last forever, and she had longed for some nice jewelry for years. Out of habit she had showed him when he had sat around with her, watching her scroll through Instagram. The pieces were some of her favorite to look at. Cole had taken a mental note and picked out the ones she liked the best. They promised no big presents, however neither of them actually complied.

"I may have made a mental note or two." She looked down, sad. She still had his gift under their tree in their apartment in Vancouver. They both had a few. They decided to wait until post break to open them, to extend the holiday season. She hadn't given him anything yet, and felt bad, but was also missing him.

"Lil?" She grabbed the phone and headed to an empty room. She was having a great holiday until now.

"Babe. Did I do something wrong? Are you okay?" Lili shook her head. She felt stupid for crying.

"No, no. Everything is perfect. The jewelry is beautiful."

"Then why are you crying?"

"I don't know. I guess because Nana isn't here, you're not here, I haven't given you anything, and it's just.. different."

"I know, and I get it, but it's Christmas, be with your family. Have fun, don't worry about anything else. I'm just a phone call away." She nodded, and composed herself. She had such a fun break with family the past few days. The went out to eat, went on a holiday train ride, put some puzzles together, played in the snow. There was no need to get upset on Christmas. She just needed to relax.

"Okay, I'll try. Thank you, for the gifts, they're beautiful. I love them... and you."

"I love you too. Call me later?"

"Of course. Bye, babe. Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas to you too, babe, bye." They hung up, and she made her way back out to the living room. Addy ran up to her to show her the new babydoll she had received from Santa. Lili sat on the rug with her goddaughter, where her mother leaned down to her.

"You okay?" Amy asked, and laid a hand on her back.

"Yeah, much better." She replied, with a smile because she was, better than okay. She was amazing.