Best kept secret

They knew before we told them. It was in the way we moved - in time, in touch, into one another. My limbs gravitated toward yours, reaching for the comfort they found in the solace. We'd have to catch ourselves, holding back, denying the familiarity we had grown to know. Our bodies, our looks, our very beings were synchronized, enchanted with an intensity that never seemed to quell. Our auras radiated warmth as the whispers swirled, we weren't blissfully unaware, but none of that mattered. Painfully attuned to every stare, every flash of a lens, we calculated our movements. They asked, all of them, in their own ways, at any given moment, but we didn't budge. Evasion became second nature and the seclusion we achieved as a result of the secrecy was worth every pivot of misdirection.

They knew not from our words, never confirmed nor denied. But our eyes would catch, a tilt of the head, a breath caught in my throat, a look one couldn't mistake would snake across your features. Subtle subtexts were there, the way my eyes would linger just a beat too long, the swing of my lip as I suppressed a smile. My thin veil of nonchalance was no match for the weight of your gaze. No words were needed in the fields, my feet planted between the poppies, the steady click of your shutter mixing with the swish of the wind through the waves of petals. No words would ever do. So why say a thing?

They knew by the normalcies. Pieces of you, of us, remnants of our adventures were weaved into my days and nights. Slowly but surely, the strands of our lives slipped in and out effortlessly, sewing into one. I never thought twice of your clothes on my floor. They belonged there just as you did. I grew to know your mannerisms, your moods, your telltale signs. When all eyes were on me, my fingers itched for yours, the familiar, grounding feeling of them slipped into mine.

They knew because it was time. We'd shared sheets for months, shared sets before that, shared everything with each other and those that we held dear. We'd held onto the secret as it grew, strengthening through whispered words and clandestine nights. The weight of reality was bearing down with each passing day. What once was ours would become theirs as well, but only because we would let it. Only because we would share. The threads were tighter than they'd ever been, ready for any test.

They knew because of you. Because I needed to share just who you were through the eye of my lens - my best kept secret.