So good to me

Muffled laughter and chatter.
"Thank you."
"Goodnight."
She could see the light seep into the room under her sleepy eyelids, momentarily making her squeeze them together hard hoping to make the brightness go away.
Steady breathing and creeks from the old hardwood.
The smell of his cologne
and she knew.
"Cole?" Her eyes shot open and she turned to face her jetlagged boyfriend standing in her bedroom.
"Hi Lil. I didn't mean to wake you."
She rubbed her eyes, confused. She felt her heartbeat quicken and the corners of her mouth turn up at the sight of him. This was not the original plan. He had told her the previous week that he was spending Thanksgiving with his Dad in New York and then immediately flying to have a late Thanksgiving with Lili and her family on Friday but it was Tuesday.
"Oh my god. What?" She leaned up and stretched.
"I was supposed to pick you up at the airport Friday!" She glanced over quickly at the bedside table alarm clock.
3.46 AM
"I wanted to surprise you. Your mom and I had a nice little trip back from the airport. I was going to Uber but she in-.."
"What? My mom picked you up?!" She started laughing hysterically and threw a pillow at him playfully.
"How did you two manage to pull this off?" She shook her head and collapsed back onto the bed and she watched and he got his luggage situated in the corner of her room.
He quickly slid his t-shirt and jeans off along with his boots and sat down on the edge of her bed.
"I wanted to spend Thanksgiving with you and your family Baby."
Lili propped herself up and hugged his torso tightly as he placed small kisses on her messy hair.
They stayed like this for a while until Cole felt what he thought was shaking beneath his embrace.
"Lil?" She pulled away and laid her head on her pillow, looking up at Cole. He saw a stray tear falling down her cheek that she quickly swiped away with her sleeve. Concern clouded his mind but quickly faded as he realized she was still smiling, even laughing now.
"Babe, are you crying? Are you sure you're happy I'm here?" He joked quickly, trying to lighten the mood without even knowing why Lili was crying. He had a tendency to crack jokes at inappropriate times but thankfully he knew this wasn't one.
"Oh god, I'm sorry. I'm being a baby. Cole, you're just so good to me. I realize how cliché and cheesy that sounds and this is something so little but I love you so much." She laughed and rolled her eyes at her emotional self.
Cole swung his legs onto her bed and wrapped his arms around her tightly, pulling her as close to him as he could.
"God. I love you Lils." He pressed a soft kiss to her lips and then on her cheek, her nose, her forehead, and then back on her lips.

610 words