chapter five

CHAPTER FIVE

CONSTANCE'S RAGE

ADELAINE STAYED A LITTLE LONGER IN MICHAEL'S ROOM after her little fiasco in the bathroom. Surprisingly, when she went back to his room, the dead rats under his bed were gone, and the bitterness in her mouth vanished. Michael watched her carefully as if she was going to break into pieces anytime - as if she was fragile.

The Langdon boy was nothing but sweet as he gave her a glass of water, and a chocolate bar (one of the treats he brought her) to wash away the horrible taste of bile. Adelaine laid in his bed, her brown eyes looking up at his plain ceiling. Michael was next to her, playing with the ends of her messy orange hair. But he kept his distance, his warm body a few inches away from her.

"I'm sorry I ruined this day for you," Adelaine apologized quietly, her eyes meeting Michael's concerned ones. He inched closer towards her, his hand cautiously removing some of her hair from her sweaty face.

"It's not your fault," He assured her sincerely, "And you didn't ruin this day. We don't have to play a game. I-I just want you here. You make me feel better."

Adelaine blinked, unable to respond at his confession. She wanted to feel his emotions now, more than ever. She wanted to know if he was sincere, or he was just messing with her feelings.

Instead, she tilted her head to the side fully, gently grabbing his warm large hand, "We'll play a game next time, I promise,"

Michael finally smiled, the spark returning to his blue eyes. Adelaine felt something tug at her heart upon seeing his lips curl up, and she never wanted him to be sad again as long as she was around.

"Okay," He said absentmindedly, watching their intertwined hands curiously. "Does friends do this? Hold hands?"

"Yeah," Adelaine shrugged, not knowing how to explain things to him, like he was a child, "I mean, it depends. But yeah, I guess they do,"

"I kind of like it," He tightened his hold on her hand, smiling a bit wider as he looked down at their clasped hands.

"You're really warm," Adelaine pointed out, glancing at Michael. Up close, the Langdon boy was angelic. His skin was clear and flawless, his pinkish lips was plump, his curly blond hair was golden - the beautiful color of sunshine - , and his eyes were a hypnotizing shade of icy blue. He was beautiful, too beautiful and pure. All Adelaine wanted was to protect him at all costs. She didn't know where the strong urge came from, but it was there and it was growing every day.

"You're a bit cold," Michael said back, his eyes meeting hers, "Are you sick?" He removed his hands off of hers, disappointment flashing in her face briefly. But then, he cautiously traced her lips, where the cut was still evident but it was healing. "I was so angry. I don't want seeing you hurt because we're friends. Just like what you said."

Adelaine bit her lip as he moved his fingers towards her bruised cheek, "I don't want seeing you sad. Come on, show me that smile."

It was her turn to trace his face, her fingers lingering on his soft, plump lips. What she was feeling for him wasn't attraction - it was like he was her younger brother that she wanted to protect. Michael looked a tad bit younger than her sometimes - maybe because he acted a bit like a child.

The door slammed shut downstairs, pulling them away from a deep trance. Adelaine stood up immediately, the sudden action making her dizzy, but she ignored it. She had lost track of time. Constance was finally home and she couldn't catch Adelaine in her grandson's bedroom. The old woman had told her specifically not to go upstairs or bother Michael. She had broken both rules.

"I-I need to go," Adelaine told the Langdon boy as she scrambled out of bed.

"Wait, why -" Michael tried to pull her back into the sheets with him, but she was already busy tying her hair and reaching for the door.

But as just as she was about to turn the door knob, Constance had beat her to it. Her intense gaze landed on the ginger then to her grandson, whose blue eyes were wide with shock and confusion. The bitterness of anger erupted into Adelaine's mouth, the taste too intense and strong that it overwhelmed her senses and made her want to throw up again.

"You slut!" She yelled at Adelaine, before grabbing at her wrist and pulling out into the hallway, "I told you to stay away from my grandson!"

"Grandma, stop it!" Michael pleaded, his eyes glossy from the unshed tears as he stared at the struggling ginger, "You're hurting her!"

"Go back to your room, Michael!" The woman's commanding voice boomed into the empty corridor, her gaze pinning the Langdon boy in the spot. Constance continued to pull the helpless ginger away from her grandson.

"Ms. Langdon, please let me go," Adelaine choked as the old woman dragged her down the stairs, Constance's tight grip not loosening one bit, "Please!"

"Why wouldn't you listen?" The woman whispered more to herself as she dropped Adelaine, the latter falling on the ground and rubbing her reddening wrist. "You look like a good girl. You don't know what Michael is capable of," Constance let out a breath, seemingly recovering from the rage she was feeling a while ago, "You didn't sleep with him, did you?" Adelaine shook her head, tears gathering at the corners of her eyes but she refused to let them fall.

Constance sighed in relief as she crouched down to her level, the intense bitterness replaced with a bitter-salty taste of fear and concern, "You shouldn't be attached to him. Michael isn't an ordinary boy. He's dangerous - something dark created by that house. You should stay away from him if you still want to live, my dear,"

Adelaine's lip quivered, "I don't understand,"

The woman stood up and grabbed her purse, pulling out a couple of dollar bills. "Here is the additional payment," She pushed it into Adelaine's palms, "This is the last time you're coming here. You're fired,"

"No, p-please," The ginger wrapped her arms around herself, a tear slipping out of her left eye, "Please don't do this, Constance."

Constance ignored her and marched up the stairs, probably to scold Michael.

In some other day, Adelaine would have found it stupid that she was crying over a teenage boy that she barely knew. But since she was born, this was the only time she had really connected to someone - normally - without tasting their emotions first. Michael didn't taste sweet, salty, spicy, bitter or sour - instead, he was warm and smelled of pine trees and sunshine. He had gotten so close to her body without her mouth being bombarded with any overpowering flavor. The Langdon boy had managed to invade her mind and served as her form of comfort, keeping her dark thoughts at bay.

But now, he was being taken away from her as well. Adelaine let out a sob as she grabbed her army jacket, the realization that she will never see Michael again finally dawning on her. She didn't even care about the money - she just wanted to spend time with the Langdon boy.

Michael slowly descended down the stairs, holding her tote bag that she left in his room, "You're not going to do it, are you?" He walked closer to her, his blue eyes glistening with tears, "Please tell me you're not going to listen to my Grandma and stay away from me."

Adelaine hand's shook as she wiped the tears on Michael's cheek, his eyes fluttering close as if he was savoring her touch.

Like the stubborn ginger that she was, she replied, "Of course, not. You'll see me again, Michael."

_______________

i'LL probably be Adelaine when someone tells me to stay away from Michael lol

anyway thank you so much for reading this story!

don't forget to leave a like and comment if you loved this

love bela xx.