chapter thirteen

CHAPTER THIRTEEN 

PETTY FIGHTS

ADELAINE'S BREATH HITCHED in her throat as she looked between Johan, who was narrowing his eyes at Michael, and the blond who was now crying. She didn't expect him to be out of the apartment, but then again, he must be worried why she wasn't home yet. The Harvey male, on the other hand, was probably trying to figure out why the boy in front of him looked familiar.

Oh shit, The ginger cursed at herself mentally as she made some lame excuse to shoo Johan away. The Harvey's eyes flicked between her and Michael, before he reluctantly left after she assured him that they will see each other. When Johan's figure disappeared into the corner, Adelaine quickly approached the blond, who marched away from her with tears flowing down his cheeks.

"Michael?" She called for his name as he ignored her, quietly entering the apartment complex. "Michael, please talk to me."

The ginger noticed that he was barefoot by the time they had entered her apartment room. The Langdon boy didn't spare him a glance as he laid at the sofa, turning his back on her. Adelaine's heart felt heavy as she kneeled by the couch, attempting to get the blond's attention, but his back remained turned.

Despite the loneliness that had spread through her, the ginger decided to give him some space. He was probably just too worried about her, only to see her with another man. She didn't want to believe that he was jealous. Adelaine was sure that he didn't see her that way. But when she entered her bathroom to take a shower, she couldn't help but think that maybe, just maybe, he was.

It was 1:45 in the morning when the ginger began getting ready for bed. She glanced at Michael's sleeping figure in the couch, her heart aching in her chest. It was the first night that she was going to sleep on her own, since she took Michael in. His warmth and his arms around her always made her fall asleep. Now that he was angry at her, she wondered if she will sleep at all.

Adelaine wrapped herself around with a thick duvet, but it did nothing to keep her warm. She felt numb, like she always did. The ginger desperately wished that she could feel anything. She then realized that her nights will be exactly like that when Michael finally moves on with his life. It worked. Adelaine didn't know why but tears she was desperately trying to hold back fell from her eyes. And before she knew it, she was sobbing.

Out of all the emotions that she rarely felt, Adelaine hated crying. As an orphan, she had to be strong. The world was a cruel place, she had learned, at the rough age of seven. Even the woman that adopted her was cruel. She didn't think that her adoptive mom ever cared about her, not even once. The ginger couldn't control her empathic ability, yes, but she was always good at controlling her emotions. Sometimes, the people around her wondered if she was a robot. Adelaine could survive with a no-strings attached relationship, like she did with the men that came and go in her life.