chapter twenty-seven

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

THE INTERVIEW

AS THE DAYS PASSED QUICKLY, Chanel knew that the day of her interview was fast approaching. She spent most of her time holed up in her room, dreading her next encounter with Langdon. The ginger didn't want to be around him anymore because their two interactions so far only brought her more confusion and heartache. Timothy and Emily were right about distrusting him. Langdon could be lying about the sanctuary or the "salvation" that he's offering them. To be honest, Chanel would rather be killed by cannibals than spend another minute with him in a room. Her confusion slowly turned into hatred for the mysterious man over time. The ginger had always held her grudges pretty well before. She would never let him treat her that way again, like she was below him and he was the superior one all because he was an agent of this Cooperative.

Coco's occasional trips to her room in the middle of the day did not help Chanel feel better in anyway. Instead, it only seemed to sour her mood even more. The blonde talked about her interview with Langdon and her certainty that she would get into the Sanctuary. But the ginger barely listened. She just pretended to nod and look a bit excited for her even though deep inside, she was cursing her own interview. Chanel knew it will benefit her greatly if he would never see Langdon again. It will benefit her if she would not smell the unique scent of sunshine and pine trees coating every inch of the Outpost like an air freshener that overpowered that dullness that once existed in its place. But she knew that none of what she wanted would happen any time soon. All she needed to do was to suck it up.

And that was what she did. She pretended to be her usual self, nonchalant and snobby as she spent the one meal a day with her fellow survivors. The ginger spent most of her days sleeping or reading a book. So far, she didn't recover another memory again.

Letting out a sigh, Chanel crawled out of her bed to get a glass of water. A long nap left her feeling thirsty and groggy as she walked through the empty and silent hallways illuminated by small candlelights, casting eerie shadows and unidentifiable shapes on the dull walls. The goose bumps on the back of her neck rose as she was approaching Langdon's office, where he was holding another interview. The ginger jumped a bit when Mallory quickly bolted out of the office, barely looking at her as she ran as fast as she can, looking a bit terrified. She felt the instinct to follow the brunette, but Langdon's sharp gaze from the doorway of his room pinned her in place. Chanel was about to continue her journey to the kitchen but the man's voice stopped her in her tracks.