chapter eighteen

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

A FUN PLACE

WHEN ADELAINE RETURNED HOME FROM WORK, she still couldn't get past what she had learned about Michael's past. Constance's words repeatedly echoed in her head like a record, refusing to leave her alone. As she stood at her apartment door, she didn't know how she would be able to successfully mask her feelings from the blond, knowing that he will see right through her. He'll know that she dug into her past, and maybe he'll finally kill her. The ginger shuddered at the thought, but she pushed it all away. The Langdon boy needed someone, but the old selfish woman he called Grandma left him alone in this cruel world. The thought made Adelaine think differently about the situation. Michael deserved love despite what he had done. He didn't choose his parents or what he is. She would never give up on him, even if it kills her.

Being an empathy thought Adelaine a thing or two on how to change her emotions quickly. A smile lit up her face when she opened the door, Michael's face immediately coming into view. She held up the chocolate milkshake she had bought on the way home, the blond's blue eyes lighting up upon spotting the cold drink. The action prevented him from hugging her like he always does. Adelaine didn't know if he should be happy or disappointed at the lack of contact.

"I got you something!" She said in forced cheerfulness as she slipped inside. Michael glanced at her briefly before he took the cup from her hand.

"What is it?" He asked curiously, eyes peeking at the thick whipped cream on top of the chocolate drink.

"Chocolate milkshake," Adelaine replied as she slipped off her hoodie, "You'll love it."

Placing down the milkshake on the nearby counter, the blond asked, "How are you feeling?"

"Better," The ginger shrugged, "Richie and I ate a lot of sweets."

The Langdon boy frowned, "Okay."

"I'll just go change," Adelaine gestured towards her room, "Have fun with that milkshake."

As the ginger walked away, she felt that Michael knew that she was distant. She didn't want to, but she couldn't help it. How will you treat someone after you learn about their killing habit?