chapter twenty-four

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

THE PROMISE OF SALVATION

ADELAINE COULDN'T FOCUS while she was supposedly eating. Some of the Outpost residents seemed to enjoy the food that was served to them because it's been a while since they last ate any meat, but not her. The ginger cannot stomach the thought of eating the creatures that she had manage to communicate with just a few minutes ago. She could taste their agony of being sliced and cut into pieces. It was so bitter that it made her want to throw up. But she managed to swallow the bile that rose up to her throat with a sip of her water. She was glad that her "sister" Coco agreed with her, informing them about her rule against "eating things with no legs or too many legs". The ginger tried to sip the soup to put some food into her empty stomach and somehow it felt a bit better. It was better though until Dinah Stevens opened her mouth. For some unknown reason, Chanel's blood boiled as she clenched her fingers into a tight fist. If looks could kill, the woman would've been dead by now .

"So, who's in your office?" Emily asked, looking over at Ms. Venable. The ginger was right about the young girl's curiosity. It sure rivaled hers. But at least the question was a great one. Chanel was also dying to know who came and why the newcomer had been awakening some memories in her head.

"I beg your pardon?"

"The alarms went off before. Someone came inside."

"All questions will be answered in due course," Venable replied, tapping her cane against the floor, "Eat."

Just as they were about to dig in to their snake dish again, the reptiles came to life and crawled out of the bowls and into the scared survivors, who all stood up from their seats, except Chanel. One of the snakes crawled towards her and wrapped itself around her wrists as she stared at it in fascination. It felt like she was their Queen for a moment as the other snakes circled around her, but did not dare to move closer.

After the weird incident at dinner that left all the survivors puzzled, they were told to gather at the common room with the fireplace in the middle. Chanel sat next to her sister, who gave her a weirded out look after what she did with the snakes. However, the ginger did recall what happened a while ago and it was as if she was in a trance when she let the reptiles get so close to her. According to the blonde, the real Chanel would've felt disgusted upon seeing the snakes. But it was all forgotten as they sat quietly in their respective seats, Venable standing in the middle.