chapter seventeen

disclaimer: this chapter was hard to write because i don't know how to do this without messing things up you know hope you guys like it anyway

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

THE TRUTH

ADELAINE HATED LYING TO MICHAEL. She didn't really lie to him – she just omitted some words. When the afternoon rolled around, she convinced him that she was feeling better and cannot miss another day at work. Michael looked skeptical, he wanted to take her to the convenience store, but she managed to convince him. After all, if he did come, her plan would be ruined. The blond will never let her into that house. But Adelaine needed answers. She was certain that the Langdon boy was different, and she had to find out about him. She would go to work later in the day, but she would have to be late in order to execute her plan. The ginger already informed her co-worker Richie about her tardiness.

"I heard the ghosts in that house only show themselves when they wanted to," She remembered the Harvey girl told her once at work, "Other ghosts are malevolent spirits, but others well, they just wanted to live in that house."

Michael watched her like a hawk as she grabbed her tote bag, looking for any signs of sickness left in her. But the ginger was really feeling better. Determination buzzed in her veins as she yearned for the truth – to find out about the mystery of Michael Langdon's past. Maybe if she did, she could help him even better.

"If you feel dizzy, come home right away,okay?" The Langdon boy stared into her eyes for a long time after he broke away from their embrance. "I'm sure Richie won't mind."

"Okay, I promise I'll go home if I feel sick again," She reassured him gently before pressing a soft kiss to his cheek. "Don't miss me too much, Michael."

The blond finally smiled, "I won't make any promises."

Pulling her flaming orange hair to the side, the ginger waved goodbye at Michael. Guilt nagged at her core as she crossed the door, trying to push away the feeling that she had just lied to the blond.

Heart thumping in her chest, Adelaine crossed the road carefully, her eyes never leaving the house that held so many mysteries in. Bitterness and dread erupted in her mouth, bile rising up her throat as well, but she held it in. She had to open the gate this time, the metal creaking as it opened. The ginger needed to talk to the ghost of Constance to get her answers. But she doubted that the old woman would even show herself. So she would have to try something. After finding what she needed from her tote bag, she laid it on the ground. Pouring a shaker filled with soil on a small bowl, she brought a small knife out, positioning it over her palm. Adelaine took a deep breath as she pressed the knife harder on her palm. She hissed at the pain, watching her crimson blood drop into the soil. The ginger's eyes glistened with tears as the cut stinged, but she pushed the pain away. Tying her wound with a clean bandage, she opened the folded piece of paper, spotting the spell she found on a website she randomly came across at work, about how to summon ghosts.