chapter thirty-five

CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

MALEVOLENT

ADELAINE DIDN'T ENJOY staying at Michael's room after she had learned about his lies, but she had no choice. The blond claimed that it was the only room that Venable and her lackeys wouldn't search once they realized that she was nowhere to be found. But the ginger knew that it was Michael's way of keeping her close to him without angering her even more. However, Adelaine didn't like it one bit. She didn't want to be near him when she was still figuring out what her next step would be now that she wasn't sure if she could trust him or not. But the blond was still her salvation – her only way out of the Outpost. However, she didn't know if he had lied about that too.

Sitting on his bed with nothing to do, Adelaine tried to manipulate the flame of the candle in her hand. Like what she did with the fireplace, she tried to connect with the orange light, feel its scorching heat and bright light reaching out to her, growing hotter, brighter and bigger. Responding to her manipulation, the flame shoot up, catching Michael's attention. He removed his eyes off of his Apple laptop, his typing ceasing as he peered at the ginger, who was bored senseless in his bed. The blond watched in awe as the flame shot up, its flame brighter and hotter than ever as Adelaine stared at it in concentration. It filled the whole room, allowing him to appreciate her beauty and the way the long, black dress fit her so perfectly.

"I see you have gotten a hold of your powers," He told her as he stood up from his seat, closing his laptop a bit. The flame went out once Adelaine's concentration was interrupted, and she was forced to meet Michael's amused gaze as she lifted her eyes off of the candle in her hand. She felt the urge to scoff once he took a step closer to her, but she bit her lip instead. Once the blond noticed her distress, he stopped in his tracks, trying to put as much distance as he can between their bodies, but the determination in his blue eyes didn't waver one bit. He still looked at the ginger like she was his light in the eternal darkness, like how he used to look at her before he brought the world to its destruction. Her heart ached terribly, and all she wanted was to be in his arms, where she was safe and his comforting warmth was enough to soothe her cold and needy body. But Adelaine had to fight her strong urge – well at least, for the mean time. She had to make sure that he wasn't planning to kill her first. For now, the ginger had to be cold to him and pretend that she didn't feel anything for him anymore.

"My knowledge of witchcraft came back with the other memories," She shrugged, pulling away her hand from the candle. It remained floating in mid-air as she kept her eyes on it. When the candle was away from her, Adelaine used her telekinesis to put it down on the floor safely. Then she relit the end of the candle, the flame coming back to life.