chapter seven

CHAPTER SEVEN

THE PROMISE

ADELAINE MADE MICHAEL HIS FAVORITE BREAKFAST and a cup of hot chocolate, to make him feel better. The blond opened up to her and told her a little bit about his past – about where he was born, the house. The ginger was familiar about the Murder House, because of her co-worker, Richie, who talked non-stop about it a few weeks back. Richie had told her about how haunted that place was and how many people had died in there, their souls haunting the house for all eternity. It scared her knowing that Michael was born in that dark place, and she was thankful that nothing bad happened to him.

She had also heard how the place lures someone in and devours it whole. Adelaine then remembered what Constance had told her a few days ago, about the Langdon boy and the house. But the ginger brushed it off, like it was nothing. She had thought that it was only a tactic used by the old woman to scare her off – to push her away from Michael. But thinking about it now, there was something dark about the blond, and the dead organ-less rats under his bed proved that. But Adelaine wasn't scared of him. No, she was intrigued. Her older sister once said that she doesn't run away from danger, but instead she runs towards it. Maybe that's why Adelaine was so attached to Michael, and she couldn't leave him alone.

"Please don't go, Adelaine," The Langdon boy told her as he laid in his bed, his hand pulling at the ginger's arm gently. Adelaine sighed as she sat on the side of the blond's bed.

"I'll be back as soon as I can," She assured him, kissing the top of his head. Michael nodded his head, his icy blue eyes staring on her wrist before it averted up to her eyes.

"Come back, okay?" He said quietly, "The nightmares return when you're not here."

Adelaine smiled a little, as she squeezed his hand, "I promise."

۞۞۞

Two days had passed since Adelaine went to Michael's house. It was 4:30 pm and she was about to head to work, when she felt something. The Langdon boy wouldn't leave her mind, the tingling in her veins worsening as she tried to focus on combing her orange hair and smoothening her wrinkly beige uniform. The atmosphere was static-y and humid, like how it was before it started to rain. She didn't understand why, because the sky was clear for the whole day. There was no storm clouds in sight, and the sun was shining brightly. But Adelaine knew – she almost tasted it – that something bad was going to happen.