chapter four

CHAPTER FOUR

UNDER THE BED

ADELAINE COULDN'T WAIT FOR SATURDAY. It was already Tuesday, and she had returned to work, fear still swirling in her veins when she stepped into the convenience store. The incident last Saturday night lingered in her mind as she removed her army jacket, placing it under the cash register. Richie gave her a tight-lipped smile, the dark skinned girl emerging from the racks. There were noticeable dark half-moons under Richie's gorgeous dark brown eyes, a clear sign that the Harvey girl hadn't been sleeping as well. Adelaine tasted the nauseating flavor of fear, and it was obvious that her co-worker still hadn't recovered from the thief that almost killed them.

Her mind flicked to the thoughts of Michael whenever she was starting to get scared, and surprisingly, it worked like a charm. She felt herself slowly starting to calm down, the suffocating grip of fear fading away as if it never haunted her in the first place.

"I thought the thief scared you away already," Richie's teasing voice pulled her out of her train of thoughts. Adelaine chuckled quietly as she tied her ginger hair up in a half ponytail.

"It takes a lot to be able to scare me," She said half-heartedly, biting her lip as she pushed some buttons on the cash register, "I'm still a bit shaken, yes, but I'm fine now,"

Richie glanced at her still healing wounds briefly. Adelaine swore she tasted pity for a while, but it quickly vanished as soon as she blinked. Her co-worker knew how much she hated being pitied or given too much sympathy – those emotions were to bitter and salty for her taste. Adelaine tried to stay away from pessimistic people as much as she can, because she didn't want to be exposed to negative emotions.

"Me too," Richie admitted, biting her lip as she chewed on a nougat bar, "But I will always be paranoid from now on, so I hope you can deal with me,"

Adelaine didn't say anything as she counted the money in the register, and slipped some in the hidden vault, a new security measure her boss had put up in case they had a late run in with a robber again.

۞۞۞

The days passed by quickly, and it was finally Saturday morning. Adelaine woke up earlier than usual, excitement coursing through her veins as she entered her small bathroom. The cut on her lips and the darkened bruise on the side of her face was still there, but it looked a lot better than it did last week. The dark half-moons under her eyes partially lessened, which was a miracle, because she was getting a bit more sleep compared to the last few days. The ginger threw on a cute black blouse and dabbed a bit of lip gloss on her pale lips, giggling at the mirror upon realizing what she was doing. She looked like a high school girl with a crush. Well, she was supposed to be a Senior anyway, if she hadn't graduated earlier than most students her age.