Another Chance-Book III, Chapter 29, Musical Road Warriors

Start from the beginning

They pulled up to the hotel and after presenting their IDs at the concierge desk, were taken by waiting bellhops to their rooms. There was a buffet lunch prepared for them and they could go in at any time. They needed to be on the bus however by 2:00 PM as the bus would leave promptly at 2:15. Prince and Bella went to their room, found it to be comfortable and tastefully furnished and after unpacking their outfits for the morning and their sleep clothes for the night, grabbed their costume garment bags and went down to lunch. Prince left the garment bags at the concierge desk for safe keeping and they went into the private room where the buffet was set up for them. It was lovely in both presentation and in the taste of the food. Prince and Carlos and the girls joined Christian and his wife at a table and chatted throughout the meal. As time drew close for them to board the bus, Carlos stood and said to the band, please thank Christian for providing the wonderful meal and the band applauded with genuine appreciation. They began to head out to the bus in small groups and by 2:00 PM all were onboard. Prince had grabbed the garment bags on the way to the bus. Prince had entered into his pre-show energy phase and was now ready to perform...the soundcheck should go well, Bella thought, watching him and assessing his mood. When they arrived at the venue, Melvin and Larry cleared it while Ross and Frank stayed with the 2 couples. Christian and his wife went inside and seated themselves in the first row to observe the soundcheck. Once the venue was cleared for entry, Bella and Elaine were escorted to their dressing room by Ross and Frank. They changed into their practice leotards while Prince and Carlos helped the band unload the instruments and get them set up. When they heard the chords being played to check the tuning of the instruments, Bella and Elaine went back to the stage accompanied by their bodyguards.

As had become his custom, Prince put on his Royal persona and shared some encouraging words with the band about his expectation that their performance would be great, and reminded them of the order of the set list.

If I Love You

I Love You Still

When 2 Are In Love

Bella's Eyes

The Ladder

Holy River

Living for the Music

Baby I'm A Star

Cool Breeze

Get Blue

Make It Funky Now

Future Soul Song

4 The Tears In Your Eyes

He had Bella and Elaine sing a scale in the microphones both on stage and at the two the he had requested off stage to check them. He was unfamiliar with this venue and he would leave nothing to chance. Both the sound and light guys were in the house and he asked that they come down to the stage and shook their hands as he asked their names and told them how he worked. He asked that they be prepared to take cues even during the show if he felt adjustments were necessary. They said they understood and he started the soundcheck. On the one...they began If I Love You and worked through the first four songs quickly with the girls blocking out their dance moves . They were played flawlessly and Royal was amazing, even in rehearsal mode in his dance moves on I Love You Still with the girls. They took a short break, re-hydrated and then they rapidly moved through The Ladder, Holy River and Living for the Music. As they got to Living for the Music, Royal said..."where da drums"...which led into a solo by Carlos that was beyond amazing. John Blackwell and Michael Bland both would have been proud! Royal brought the rest of the band back in and after awhile walked to the front of the stage and said...can I play my guitar? He then took off into a solo that blew the top off of the venue figuratively. This was going to be some show. And then he said on the One. The band came to an immediate halt! He counted off and "a one and a two"...and went right into Baby I'm a Star! He then called another 10 minute break.