Chapter 50

Brendon's POV
If I'm correct it's about 6am right now. The sun was finally coming back up and sending me some heat which I desperately needed. I'd been walking all night yet I was still by the highway. I did the same gesture like I did a few hours ago, trying to get a ride.

I tried to look as innocent as possible so people wouldn't accidentally think I'm a mormon lunatic running away from home in the middle of the night to get back to his old school where he got expelled because he was in love with a guy and the principal's a shitbag.

Finally, after 20 minutes, a car finally pulled over. It was a rusty, red old pick-up. The guy driving it looked to be even younger than me, which, honestly, wasn't very reassuring.

"Hey, aren't you that Brandon kid?" The guy stepped out of the car and walked towards me. For fucks sake. My name is Brendon, do I need to spell it out for him? B-R-E-N-D-O-N. But what the actual fuck? How did he kind of know my name? Is he from my hometown? Are the rumors already being spread?

He was wearing a black hoodie saying fucking awesome along with black jeans and a black cap. He also had a lip piercing. Interesting.

"Uhm... s-sorry but, wh-who are you again?" I stuttered nervously, violently fidgeting with my hands and tilting my head to the side as I took a few steps back once he approached me.

"I never said who I was," he chuckled, "but I'm Mike."

"Mike who?" I furrowed my eyebrows in suspicion. You can never be too suspicious when it comes to hitch hiking, you know.

"Mike Fuentes," He grinned, "now, want a ride or not?"

"Hang on... aren't you Vic's little brother? And yeah, I would like a ride, thank you." I asked, feeling a weight getting lift off my shoulders.

"Yeah. You know him? Because he sure as hell knows who you are." Mike snorted loudly as he went back to his car and hopped onto the driver's seat.

"I don't really know him but he shares dorm with my friend, Jon." I explained as I sat down on the passenger seat, "but wait, how does Vic know who I am?" I asked curiously. Secret stalker?

"Dude... rumors. He told me all about it." Mike said and gave me this apologetic look.

"Oh. Right." I mumbled as I facepalmed. Stupid me. Of course that's how. It wouldn't surprise me if the entire shitty school knew about it. About my love for Ryan. About me being expelled for being in love with a guy. Fucking homophobes. "And by the way, it's Brendon. Not Brandon." I mumbled.

"Anyways, where are you heading?" Mike held his breath nervously. He glanced at me, his eyes screaming no, no, no, don't. I glanced back at him, my eyes screaming oh yes, yes, yes, I am.

"Seriously?!" Mike laughed disbelievingly.

"Yes."

"But you are aware of the consequences if you show up and get caught, right?" His laughter died and he became all serious.

"Yes."

"Are you sure you want to do this?" He nodded.

"Yes."

"Okay, fuck yeah! Let's do this, man." Mike grinned and patted my shoulder. I just smiled like an idiot, glad to have at least someone on my side.

He started the vehicle and drove off. At first it was a little bit uncertain and bumpy, but by time it got better.

"I just want to see Ryan at least one more time." I explained after a minute of silence. It wasn't an uncomfortable one though. It was just... neutral.