Book Six Chapter Twenty-Three

Sitting we talk about everything in general, after finishing eating Alena gathers the plates. I sit watching as the kids run off into the living room to watch tv.

"You can get MJ sorted and in bed, tonight" Jackson's words quiet, sitting I watch the kids, how amazing and well behaved they have turned out already. 

A tap on my shoulder making me turn to face Jackson.

"I was talking to you then. You can get MJ sorted, and in bed tonight, me and Alena will spend the night with the girls, they are always complaining he gets more attention" 

I look at him shocked, then to Alena, is this really a good idea?

"We can't just turn around to him and the girls and say you're his dad, you need to spend some time with him first" He is right, it just seems quick.

"Fine with me, what do I do?" I don't want to just do things my way, they will have their way which he is used to.

"He gets in the bath, spends ten minutes in the bath, gets dried and ready for bed, sits and has a story then goes to sleep" 

Nodding I am sure I can do that, although bathing him will be weird, but he is my son so I will have to get used to it. At least he is no longer a baby like Helen, that I know I would struggle with.

"MJ, bedtime son" Jackson calls through, MJ getting up walking through to us smiling.

"Can Marcus get you to bed today?" MJ stares at me for a short while but nods.

"Okay, I am going to sound bad right now, but how old is he and the girls now?" I feel awful, I have missed so many of their birthdays.

"The girls just turned seven, MJ turns five in two weeks" Well, I guess I won't miss his fifth birthday.

"Come on then, you can show me how you get ready for bed" 

Nodding MJ walks upstairs with me following, walking to the bathroom he stays quiet, I turn the tap on and turn to him.

"So, do you have anything in your baths?"

"Yes, bubbles" He turns grabbing a bottle and handing it to me, slowly throwing his toys in while it fills up. Turning it on I stand looking at him, now what?

"Does your mum normally stay with you?" He nods his reply.

"Okay, I will grab a towel while you get in the bath" 

Turning I open the cupboard, getting a towel that looks like it is his, I assume it is, it has cars and other vehicles on. Turning I place the towel on the rack and sit and wait while he plays. 

After ten minutes I hand him the towel as he gets out the bath.

"So, clothes where are they?" I should probably have got the clothes first?

"Can you dress yourself?" I have no idea what I am doing, and I am failing.

"I can dress myself" He starts walking out the bathroom to his bedroom. I pull the plug out and empty the bath walking to his bedroom he is sat on his bed waiting.

"I want this story please" Nodding I take the book from him as he lies down pulling his cover up, looking at the book it is not a story I recognise, it is something new I am guessing, sitting I begin reading to him, watching him as he stares at me.

"Who are you?" I laugh and look at him shocked, unsure how to answer that.

"Erm, I am Marcus, a friend of mummys and daddys" I continue reading the story as he keeps staring at me.