Book Five Chapter Eleven

"We had just come to the local town, we were getting some items we needed, Jackson and Maxwell were ahead of us making sure everything was okay. For some reason Maxwell hit Jackson. Jackson didn't fight back"

"Max, not Maxwell, Max" Alena's words stopping me her anger growing once again, yet the tears continue to spill over her eyes, looking at her I nod and continue

"Jackson just pushed him back. Max though wanting to cause damage, he threw something through a shop window, when the people came out Max ran, Jackson left there in the firing line" I should have got Troy to let go of me, I could have saved him had I got to him in time.

"He ran and took cover, we tried to get to him, one of the bullets hit a barrel and they all just exploded, we moved back and then ran forward again to get Jackson"

"He wasn't there, we searched the water in case he fell in backwards but had no luck. We should have left straight away two weeks ago, but we couldn't. We kept searching the towns for him, but nothing" 

Every word ripping me apart, reminding me of how I failed Jackson, failed Alena and their babies, I destroyed a family and I will never forgive myself for that.

"And Max?" I look at her, how do I answer that question, I failed again unable to catch him to at least bring Jackson justice!

"No idea, we had no luck finding him either, we didn't get your message till we got back today. I came straight here the other lads are being treated for small burns and things, we had no idea Maxwell was Max, not until we got back" 

She stays quiet, looking into her eyes there is nothing, just hollow space, she turns to look at Helen, her sadness growing realising she has now lost another child. 

Sitting I spend all day with my arm around Alena, her sobs never stopping, my throat hurts from my own sobs stuck within it, wanting to escape yet I force them to stay hidden. Everyone leaving the room, cooking and sorting out things, kneeling in front of her, I grip her hands trying to get her to notice I am here.

"Alena, talk, please" My hand cups her chin, lifting her head to look at me. Her eyes glaze over, like she is looking straight through me, watching as they close for what seems like an eternity, I sit staring waiting for them to open. 

As they do she is looking down, avoiding looking at me, I know how I can help her, but it wouldn't be right. I know full well, her subspace would give her those few minutes away from the pain, and the thoughts, but I can't do that to her, to Jackson. Helen leaves, I hug her goodbye, her eyes looking at Alena concerned.

"I will stay as well, she will be fine Helen" She nods.

"Please do Marcus, you were Jackson's closet friend, and I know you been here will help somehow, I don't know how, but I know it will" 

She leaves looking like she is a few steps away from the gates of death. Walking back into the living room, I sit on the chair, getting comfy as I am not leaving tonight. Alena sits just looking, no, staring blanking into the open space. She gets up, walking upstairs, clearly going to bed. 

I need to let Maria know, she has no idea yet, and I don't want to tell her over the phone, so tomorrow I will go home quickly to tell her, it doesn't feel right leaving Alena alone here, even though she has Liam and Georgina, it just doesn't feel right. 

Tomorrow I get the papers confirming that they have decided he is dead, which means planning his funeral without his body. In a way I am grateful Jackson has a family, I certainly could not cope planning his funeral, and the state of Alena means she wouldn't be able to either.