Chapter 31: pre-show

Start from the beginning

I watched as the set crew moved quickly to set things up as I sipped my chai tea

I watched as the set crew moved quickly to set things up as I sipped my chai tea. I sat on the edge of one of the finished stages just staring as everything was coming into fruition. GMA has promised that fans wouldn't be allowed to this area until about two hours from performance time.

"You like so far?" Lovely sat beside me texting various people who were responsible for operations today. "Yeah, I like the mosh addition like dads." I smiled at her. "Good because that's what we were going for." She smiled back at me. "You're gonna do so good today. I can feel it in my bones Noel." She told me.

"Thank you Lovely. I'm nervous for you guys to hear my new songs." I said. "I'm sure we'll love them. I'm genuinely surprised everytime you release a song. Trust me your dad thinks so too. He's like your biggest fan." She raved. "He told me last night, he coming up with some of my merch too. He said I could help with Yeezy more too." I said.

"I'm not surprised, he knows you're really talented. I bet you'll have your own collection by the end of the year." She smiled.

"Hey Noel, we need to do a sound check and a machinery check before you get ready." A stage hand told me. "Ok cool. Do you know where my in-ears are?" I stood holding my hand out for Lovely to take. I helped her up waiting for the answer to my question. "They should be in the DJ booth. Your dad asked for them to specifically be there." He answered. "Okay, I'll just grab the mic from there too." I nodded heading to the front of the stage where the DJ booth was located.

I searched for the box that held my in-ears under the DJ equipment. TO NOEL was inscribed on the box in bold letters. I smiled softly revealing Spongbob and Patrick in-ears. I pulled out my phone taking a picture of them and grabbing the mic off of the stand also. One of the stagehands connected them to a mic pack as I went over my set list one last time to approve it. "Switch Tuscan Leather And Sometimes places and we're good." I told her. She wrote it down with a nod running off somewhere.

"Alright are we ready?" I asked, greeting my back up singers as well as my band. "Go ahead." I heard inside of my ears. I put a thumbs up and turned towards my drummer.

//

"Noely!" Sant ran into my legs. I smiled lifting him on my hip "Sainty!" His giggling like music to my ears as North came into view on Trevante's shoulders. "Noel!" She cheered. "Hi babygirl." I smiled. "And hi to you." I smiled at him his bright smile matching mine. "Hi Noel." He brought North from around his shoulders and letting her stand as he kissed my cheek.

"Where's my mom?" I asked softly. "She should be in your trailer by now. These munchkins wanted to see you so I volunteered to take them." He smiled. "I'll see her later then. Why don't we go see what daddy got me in the sound room?" I kneeled down to Norths level. Nodding excitedly Trevante grabbed her hand as I held onto Saint tight, making our way to the sound room.

I placed Saint on the ground as I grabbed my in-ears. Kneeling so they both could see. "Who's that Sainty?" I asked tickling his tummy as he giggled. "That's Spongebob bubby!" He laughed hysterically. "And Patrick!" North hooked her arm around my neck. "Yep and Patrick." "Daddy got me these as a present, do you think I should get him one too?" I asked them. "Yes!" North smiled as Saint nodded excitedly. "I'm glad you guys agree with me." I picked both of them up in my arms.

"Let's go see Mommy!" I said as Trevante hovered over us, making sure I was okay with the both of them. I saw cameras every so often but they weren't blocking our path so I let them be. I had to get dressed in about thirty minutes and show time was close to an hour. To say the nerves were kicking in was an understatement, they were in full drive by now.

"Mommy!" Saint wiggled in my arms to be let down as North laid her head on my shoulder. "Hi!" I heard her voice greet Saint as I looked down at North. "What's wrong Northy?" I kissed her forehead. She shook her head burying her face more into my neck. "I'm gonna walk with North, tell my mom I'll be back in ten minutes." I told Trevante who nodded.

"Tell me what's wrong princess?" I asked her softly, I had walked to a quiet area of the trailers sitting on the ground with her in my lap. "You do what daddy does." She spoke. "Yeah, I perform just like him." I nodded. "Daddy leaves for a long time, are you leaving too?" She asked. "Not for a long time I can promise you that. And if I do happen to leave for a long time I'll tell you first okay?" I rubbed her back in comfort. "Okay." She nodded.

"Anything else?" I rose my eyebrow. "Is Tre your boyfriend?" Her head popped up from my shoulder. I laughed softly. "I want him to be. Why?" I asked. "Because I like him! He's fun!" She smiled. "He is that's why I like him so much." I agreed with an identical smile.

"Okay Northy I think we have to get back." I stood letting her get on my back. "Talk to me about anything you want North. Even you're older, I'll be there to listen." I told her. "Okay." She said into my ear.

//

"Five minutes!" My stage director yelled

"Five minutes!" My stage director yelled. I was dressed and ready to perform. The only person with me right now was Trevante, per my request. My dad was standing as my DJ for right now until I found one of my own. For that I was grateful.

"Ready?" He asked quietly, his hand squeezed mine as we stood in the makeshift hallway. I nodded with a smile. "A little nervous but I'll manage." I sighed. "Hey." He tugged on my hand. I met his eyes seeing his smile reaching his eyes.

"You've got this." He kissed me softly. "I'll be right beside your mom singing my heart out." I laughed. "Then after I can do what I didn't last night." He smirked.

"Positions!"

"Break a leg." He kissed my cheek and heading to our section. I breathed deeply as I was handed a mic and was counted down.

//