Chapter 23: a beautiful ext

Sitting by my grandfathers grave I looked out into the green pasture that was riddled with other gravesites but a lot of the field was empty.

"You asshole!" I heard from behind me making me turn. "Your whole family is looking for you dude!" Vic sat on the other side of the grave. "I figured. Dame turned off my phone and left it in the car." I explained. "How is Dame? Haven't seen him in a few years." He chuckled. I shook my head. "He made me leave our family therapy session. My mom is going to kill me to say the least." I answered.

Vic nodded

Vic nodded. "Are you okay?" He asked after a moment of silence. "Yeah." I snorted. "I'm supposed to be on top of the world right now." I picked at the grass beneath me. "I suppose so but do you feel on top of the world right now? Be serious with me Noel." He asked. "I don't need a lecture right now Vic." I sighed. "But it's not going to be that Noel. I'm just asking a question." He responded back.

I looked at him as he stared out into space. "Why can't I ever be happy?" I asked softly. "Life fucking sucks Noel. I thought we both discovered that years ago." He answered. "You just have to pick the parts that don't suck and cherish them." Vic told me calmly. "Everything fucking sucks though." I told him making him laugh softly.

"I guess but certain things don't suck to you. You love music, I for one don't think it sucks." He spoke softly. I nodded with a smile. "Yours doesn't either for the record. I know a lot of people bag on you but I listened to every word. I'm glad you didn't leave when you wanted to." I played with my fingers not wanting to meet his eyes.

"Me too." His eyes sparkled at my revelation. "And don't worry yourself about people talking down on me. I'm over it, I make music for myself now." He followed up after a second. "Wanna go somewhere?" He asked. "Getting tired of this creepy graveyard?" I asked him with a smile. He shoved my shoulder playfully. "Never, just want to get you back in good spirits." He shook his head. I shrugged standing and helping him up. "Let's do it then." I smiled.

"Follow me." He led the way back to our cars.

//

"Yo that was awesome!" I dapped Vic up after we got finished racing in go-carts. "I knew you'd like it." He smiled pulling me into a hug.

"Hey Noel I saw you leaving a shrink this morning are you mental just like your dad!" A photographer shouted behind the fence. He seemed to be the only one there as he snapped pictures. I clenched my jaw at the mention of Kanye my good mood forgotten about. I charged towards him but Vic yanked me by my shirt back to him. "Don't. He's not worth it." He told me. I looked the photographer up and down mugging him as he continued to snap pictures.

I threw down the issued helmet in frustration squatting down low to catch my breath. Feeling myself tearing up, I picked myself up and walked out of the facility trying to keep it together.

"Noel wait up!" Vic yelled after me. I stopped by my car door. "Just don't even try to make this better. I'm tired of this shit honestly Vic." I sniffled. He nodded. "Give me the keys I'll drive to wherever you want. I just don't want you to be alone." He offered. I tossed the keys to him getting in my passengers seat as he got in the drivers seat.

As Vic drove he sung along to his playlist he had hooked up to my car. His voice was the only sound coming from the car as I looked out the window at the LA scenery.

"Wanna go to the studio?" Vic asked. My head perked up. "I knew that would get your attention." He chuckled. "There's a producer in Venice that I know. He has his own home studio we could crash there if you want." He told me. "Sure. I don't have any equipment with me though." I responded. "Don't worry about it. Just need your voice and an appetite." He smiled at me getting on the interstate to start our journey to Venice.

//

Arriving in Venice I could breathe a little easier. Paps were never really out here unless they got tipped and we weren't going anywhere but to Vic's producers house so I say we were pretty safe.

"Hungry?" He asked as we parked outside of a very nice house that overlooked the ocean. "Not right now really." I shook my head. He shrugged his shoulders as he led me in the house. "Yo T!" Vic yelled into the house. A man with dreads in front of his hair with a regular fade appeared in front of us. He had sunglasses on with a black t-shirt and ripped skinny jeans. "Yo." He stood stretching in the hallway. "This is Noel. Noel this is Bryan but he's known as TM88." Vic introduced us. "Nice to meet you man, I heard your singles they're dope as hell." Bryan stuck his hand out for me to shake.

"I appreciate that

"I appreciate that." I smiled. "Hopefully we'll make some hits together." I told him as we retracted our hands. "Oh shit y'all trynna record now?" He asked. "Just brainstorm as I call it. Lay down some references. But if it permits most likely a song or two." I shrugged. "Let's go then." He nodded towards the stairs that led down.

As we got seated Bryan played some tracks trying to feel our vibes. As I sank into the music I channeled everything that was making me connect with the beat.

"This one." I spoke softly. "This is the one." I told them. "Do you have a pen?" I asked Bryan. He tossed me one from his seat as I grabbed a paper and scribbled down a word. Exit.

"I have an idea and it might seem weird but I want to try it." I told them getting up and heading into the booth. "Play it back." I told Bryan. "Speeding through all of these red lights, fast life. Dreaming a beautiful exit."

I hummed to myself as I heard it loop multiple times. "From the top, cue me in." I told him. He shot me a thumbs up as the track started again.

//