Chapter 60

Family functions. Lola groaned inwardly. She's beginning to hate them. They are full of drama, arguments and shouting. They never end peacefully. There's always one thing to fight about at the end. She puffed out air, crossing her legs as she leaned back into the plush sofa, the voices of Aunty Dammy and her grandmother nearly deafening her. Grandma can't just keep her mouth shut. She always have to speak and try to ruin happy moments. Aunty Dammy had thrown a get together to introduce her children to the family. Grandma Rebecca used that as the perfect time to remind Aunty Dammy that she's not in her husband house and the Kola-Daisi surname is something she won't give to bastards. The word bastards had infuriated the new mother of three. She had stood up against her mother and the argument was nowhere coming to an end.

Her grandmother's annoying. She gnashed her teeth. The woman's selfish. She likes everything going her way. She want to have a control over anything that has to do with family decisions but the thing she is yet to come to terms with is she cannot make decisions for adults. She has done enough damage by asking Aunty Dammy to stay with an asshole who knew he was sterile and led her daughter on for fifteen years. To worsen it, he accepted a woman whom he knew was cheating on him. He made everyone believe the problem was from Aunty Dammy by accepting the bitch, Anita, and her bastards. That man needs a bullet in his fucking head. The old bat thinks only about herself, what benefits her and what pleases her. She does not give a damn about how her choices does not go well with everyone. It's her fault that she's married to Joshua, stuck in something she dreads with every part of her being. Can the old hag just die and leave the family in peace? Does that make her seem heartless?

Those kids needed a family and Aunty Dammy had done the best thing by adopting them. They were dumped in an orphanage by those they considered family after their parents' death. Their mother was an orphan and had no family when the man was married her. Who would look at the baby and not feel the need to protect that little one from this wicked world? That baby is cute. Those innocent eyes captivated her. Grandma can burn in hell. The older siblings are adorable and smart kids. Anyone would love them. Although, the eldest is still finding it hard to open up to everyone.

"Mum, I have had enough of you! It's enough! God please, what did I ever do wrong to you? What's my offense? Why do you want to do nothing but make my life more miserable that it already is? Does my happiness ever mean anything to you? Why don't you just die and leave me in peace?" Those words were hard and blunt. From the way Rebecca froze, everyone could tell the words got through her. "Get out of my house!" Aunty Dammy shouted. "I do not want to see you here ever again. If your perspective about them does not change then do no show your face to me even after you rot in your grave"

Now, this was getting worse than she had thought. The mother daughter relationship has been severed and maybe ruined for life. It's time to leave. Lola got to her feet, pulling the plain white Balenciaga T-shirt she wore over a pair of blue Dolce and Gabana jeans before sauntering out with her mini Chloe bag in hand. The thought of Aunty Dammy and her grandmother brought her mother to her mind. She's grateful for having such a woman in her life. She has been supportive, putting up with her shit over the years and has never ceased to show and tell her how much she loved her. The same goes to her nine siblings. Irrespective of how far they are away from her, Cynthia gives them a call every day. If she had a mother like her grandmother, she sure will be the death of the old woman. As she pulled into the road, she gave her mother who had not been able to make it to the dinner due to an event, a call.

Her conversation with Haseenah two days back swam in her head. She's yet to know how to feel about what Haseenah had done. She can't hate her or blame her because she is also not an innocent. She had killed two people and if she wants to count the dead cat, she will say three. It also had a life.