Chapter 38

The tiredness Joshua felt was the one that wanted him in bed with a very good sleep after a cold or warm shower depending on the weather. Today, he had the two forms of tiredness, physical and mental. His body needed rest but his mind needs to lift the weight over it. His wife had not returned from her journey neither had a call come from her. He had called her due to care and not responsibility but she had not picked.

He slid the key into the key hole, opened the door and walked into quietness. His shoes clicked almost inaudibly on the unsullied floor. The muscles in his neck hurt from many hours of having his face into paper work.

"Welcome" her voice made him jump. His heart skipped that he felt like his soul had flown out of his body. "Did I startle you?" she asked walking farther from the kitchen's door, her movement feline.

"Yes" he strolled in kicking off his shoes and removing his suit jacket which he flung on the cushion. "When did you arrive?" his eyes lingered on her bare face. There was something different about her eyes. They were softer and cooler unlike the hard eyes that gazes at him. A little tender smile formed over her face.

"Today" she halted next to the armchair, a hand rested in a classy manner on the arm of the chair.

"How was your journey?"

"Fine and interesting. I enjoyed it. You look tired"

That startled him. She noticed. The little crease of his bushy eyebrows and slight gap of his lips had not hidden his surprise.

"Err...er...." He hummed and hawed. "Yes, I am. Work was stressful"

"Sorry"

"Thanks?" he replied, unsure.

"You should have a shower then come down for dinner. There's pasta"

"You....you....you cooked?"

"No" she gave him a full smile. "I bought it. Any problem?"

Something was wrong. Something was wrong somewhere. This was not the woman who left him at home. He could not just figure where the change had come from. He was confused and shocked.

His eyes scanned her from head to toe. She had held her hair up into a messy bun with little tendrils falling down her face. She had one of those so called comfortable wear she puts on at home. This time, she had settled with some comfortable shorts and tank top with those long legs in display.

"Something has changed about you" he said unable to hold back the remark.

"Did it? I am me" she shrugged.

The cool demeanour was fishy. Was this a plan? There was something smelly somewhere.

"You were not like this before you left"

"People change"

"Yes they do but yours seems so unusual"

"I want to speak with you when we are done with dinner"

That was more shocking. A talk with him.

"Of...of course" he shook his head.

"Alright" the corners of her lips moved up.

He hated that smile. Why? Because it was one of those that made her prettier than she looked and makes his heart quiver in his chest. It was the type that sent thrills into his spine.

As he headed to the hallway, he felt her eyes on him. He came out few minutes later to the atmosphere of the living room bathed with the pleasant tang of pasta. He found her in the kitchen, elbows on the granite top and her iPad in her hand. She laughed into the screen, her back to him.