Chapter 45

The long sleeve emerald green dress hugged her figure and subtle curves in the right places. It was a straight silk dress that fell past her ankle. She had worn nude heels that prevented the dress from sweeping the floor and used the same shade of nude scarf. The silk scarf hanged loose around her neck, settled half way through her head, showing off her braids. She had it done few hours back. The braids were long, a light shade of brown and the edges were tight making her face prettier and forehead shining. The edges were curly and slept lazily against her hair line with the aid of an edge control. It had been hard deciding which colour of attachment to use. Colour thirty-three or thirty. She settled for colour thirty and loved its outcome.

She met Osasere in Jafar's house the day before. It was Saturday and she had nothing to do. She paused, trying to rewind her memory. Okay she had something to do. Her friends had invited her out which she refused. Since her outing with Jafar three days ago, she had wanted to see him again.

When she knocked, Osas had opened the door. Anyone would be shocked. Anyone would think she was his girlfriend with the way she answered the door. Osas had been nice. When did Jafar and Osas get to the stage where they visit one another at home? The first word that rushed in her head was girlfriend. But Jafar has no girlfriend. Even though he want to have, why will he choose a Christian, an Edo and a single mother?

The day Jafar had asked her to hang out with him, they had branched some nice spot to get ice-cream. There, they met Osasere and a little girl. Atikah would never have known the girl was Osas's daughter if she had not called Osas mummy. It had shocked her, left her almost frozen. Osas was a mother of a four year old. Her daughter, Esosa, was a pleasant little girl. The girl was chatty and had called her beautiful. She would never forget the look in Jafar's eyes when he looked at Osas. There was a sparkle she barely saw. That twinkle in his eyes spread across his face. He introduced Atikah as a friend and both ladies had shared pleasantries. Jafar had always been adorable with children but with Esosa, it was different. It seemed like they share a bond the kind he shares with Umar.

Esosa had made a statement that nearly choked Atikah. "Uncle, when will you come to our house again? I want you to take Umar and I out again?"

What? Her breathing seized. When did he start visiting Osas at home? When did he start taking her daughter out? He barely come to her house. He only visits their house whenever his mother asks him to drop her off. Those few times, he entered her house twice. There had been pain in her chest and jealousy. She looked at Osasere and could not help but feel jealous.

Osas had been in his house because he was sick. Jafar had an ulcer attack. With the way Osas spoke and behaved in his house, anyone would think they were dating. She was even cooking. Cooking! Who cook for a man she has nothing with? Jafar should have called her. She would have rushed down with the speed of an antelope just to make sure he's alright.

"You know you can always leave. I will just stay with him until he wakes up. I am sure you have something to do" Atikah suggested, finding a way to get rid of Osas.

"Not really" Osas had replied which nearly dropped Atikah's smile as her heart had dropped at the pit of her stomach. They were seated in the living room. Atikah sat on a sofa and Osas laid on the three seater, her phone in hand. She was watching television. Osas was very comfortable in Jafar's house and Atikah hated it. "My daughter is out with my mother and there's nothing much to do at work. I was about to leave work when he called. I will wait until he gets up"

And Osas did. Jafar had called out for her as he came into the living room. When Osas got up to meet him, she saw something. Maybe it was from the view of an envious woman but she could swear they were almost perfect together, like a couple. He had not noticed Atikah in the living room until Osas told him.